Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Methods and compositions for the dry powder formulation of interferons|
|Abstract:||According to the present invention, methods and compositions are provided for spray-dried, interferon-based dry powder compositions, particularly interferon-beta. The compositions are useful for treating conditions in humans that are responsive to treatment with interferons. In particular, the methods of the present invention rely on spray drying to produce stable, high-potency dry powder formulations of interferons, including but not limited to IFN-beta. Surprisingly, it has been found that IFN can be prepared in high potency, dry powder formulations by spray drying. Such dry powder formulations find particular utility in the pulmonary delivery of IFN.|
|Inventor(s):||Platz; Robert M. (Half Moon Bay, CA), Kimura; Shigenobu (Hyogo, JP), Satoh; Yu-ichiro (Sapporo, JP), Foster; Linda C. (Mountain View, CA)|
|Assignee:||Inhale Therapeutic Systems, Inc. (San Carlos, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Feb 17, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A spray-dried powder composition for pulmonary delivery, comprising: (i) a therapeutically effective amount of an interferon, and (ii) a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier, wherein said composition is substantially free from penetration enhancers. |
2. The composition of claim 1, wherein said carrier comprises human serum albumin.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein said carrier is selected from the group consisting of carbohydrates, amino acids, and polypeptides.
4. The composition of claim 3, wherein said carrier is a carbohydrate selected from the group consisting of monosaccharides, disaccharides, cyclodextrins, and polysaccharides.
5. The composition of claim 3, wherein said carrier is a carbohydrate selected from the group consisting of lactose, trehalose, raffinose, maltodextrins, and mannitol.
6. The composition of claim 3, wherein said carrier is an amino acid.
7. The composition of claim 6, wherein said amino acid is selected from the group consisting of alanine, glycine, tryptophan, tyrosine, leucine, and phenylalanine.
8. The composition of claim 3, wherein said carrier is a polypeptide.
9. The composition of claim 3, wherein said carrier comprises a carbohydrate and an amino acid.
10. The composition of claim 3, wherein said carrier comprises a carbohydrate and a polypeptide.
11. The composition of claim 3, wherein said carrier comprises an amino acid and a polypeptide.
12. The composition of claim 11, further comprising a carbohydrate.
13. The composition of claim 1, wherein said interferon is interferon-beta.
14. The composition of claim 1, wherein said interferon is naturally-occurring.
15. The composition of claim 1, wherein about 95% of the mass of the dry powder composition has a particle size of less than 10 .mu.m.
16. The composition of claim 15, wherein about 80% of the mass of the dry powder composition has a particle size of less than 5 .mu.m.
17. A unit dosage form for pulmonary delivery of an interferon, comprising a unit dosage receptacle containing the dry powder composition of claim 1.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.