Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Autoclavable pharmaceutical compositions containing a chelating agent|
|Abstract:||The present invention describes an autoclavable ophthalmic composition comprising an ophthalmically effective drug. The invention further relates to a method for stabilizing an ophthalmic drug.|
|Inventor(s):||Kis; Gyorgy Lajos (Triboltingen, CH)|
|Assignee:||Novartis AG (Basel, CH)|
|Filing Date:||Jul 14, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A method for stabilizing an ophthalmic composition comprising dexamethasone, ketotifen or an ophthalmically acceptable salt of ketotifen, comprising: admixing an ophthalmically acceptable carrier, a drug selected from dexamethasone, ketotifen, and an ophthalmically acceptable salt of ketotifen and an amount of a stabilizer selected from the group consisting of ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid, salts of ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid, desferoxamine, salts of desferoxamine, chelating agents having phosphonic acid groups, and chelating agents having phosphonate groups, wherein said amount of stabilizer is sufficient to stabilize the drug against decomposition upon autoclaving, to provide a mixture; and autoclaving said mixture. |
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the stabilizer is ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid.
3. The method according to claim 1, wherein said mixture further comprises a preservative, which is selected from the group consisting of sepazonium chloride, cetyltrimethylammonium bromide, cetylpyridinium chloride, benzoxonium chloride, benzethonium chloride, domiphen bromide and benzalkonium chloride.
4. The method according to claim 1, wherein said mixture further comprises one or more excipients selected from the group consisting of buffers, carriers, solubilizers, preservatives, tonicity enhancing agents and fillers.
5. The method according to claim 1, wherein said mixture further comprises a cyclodextrin selected from the group consisting of .alpha.-cyclodextrin, .beta.-cyclodextrin, .gamma.-cyclodextrin, hydroxypropyl-.beta.-cyclodextrin, hydroxypropyl-.gamma.-cyclodextrin, dimethyl-.beta.-cydodextrin, and dimethyl-.gamma.-cyclodextrin.
6. The method according to claim 1, wherein said mixture comprises a carrier selected from the group consisting of water, methylcellulose, alkali metal salts of carboxymethylcellulose, hydroxymethylcellulose, hydroxyethylcellulose, methylhydroxypropylcellulose, cross-linked polyacrylic acid, and mixtures thereof.
7. The method according to claim 1, wherein said stabilizer is selected from the group consisting of diethylenetriamine penta(methylenephosphonic acid), hexamethylenediamine tetra(methylenephosphonic acid), ethylenediamine tetra(methylenephosphonic acid), and aminotrimethylene phosphonates.
8. The method according to claim 1, wherein the stabilizer is selected from the group consisting of desferoxamine, salts thereof, derivatives thereof, and mixtures thereof.
9. The method according to claim 2, wherein the drug is a member selected from the group consisting of ketotifen and ophthalmically acceptable salts of ketotifen.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.