Find generic entry opportunities
Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Prostaglandin derivatives for the treatment of glaucoma or ocular hypertension|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to ophthalmological compositions for topical treatment of glaucoma or ocular hypertension comprising an effective intraocular pressure reducing amount of a prostaglandin derivative of PGA, PGB, PGD, PGE or PGF, in which the omega chain contains a ring structure, in an ophthalmologically compatible carrier. The invention further relates to the preparation of said compositions and their use for treatment of glaucoma or ocular hypertension.|
|Inventor(s):||Stjernschantz; Johan Wilhelm (Uppsala, SE), Resul; Bahram (Uppsala, SE)|
|Assignee:||Pharmacia Aktiebolag (Stockholm, SE)|
|Filing Date:||Feb 12, 2001|
|Claims:||1. A therapeutic composition for topical treatment of ocular hypertension or glaucoma in humans containing a prostaglandin PGF in an amount sufficient to reduce intraocular pressure without causing substantial ocular irritation, and an ophthalmologically compatible vehicle, in which the alpha chain of the prostaglandin comprises a chain having the structure |
and in which the omega chain of the prostaglandin has the formula
C is a carbon atom (the number according to standard prostaglandin nomenclature being indicated by the subscript);
B is a single bond or double bond;
D is a subchain of 2-5 carbon atoms and 1-2 heteroatoms selected from the group consisting of O, N and S, with substituents on each carbon atom selected from the group consisting of a hydrogen atom, an alkyl group, an oxo group and a hydroxyl group; and
R.sub.2 is a phenyl group substituted with a trifluoromethyl group.
2. The therapeutic composition according to claim 1 wherein the prostaglandin is a PGF.sub.2.alpha..
3. The therapeutic composition of claim 2 wherein the substituents on C.sub.15 are a hydrogen atom and a hydroxyl group.
4. The therapeutic composition according to claim 2 wherein D is a subchain of tow carbon atoms and one heteroatom.
5. The therapeutic composition according to claim 4, wherein the substituents on C.sub.15 are a hydrogen atom and a hydroxyl group.
6. A method of treating ocular hypertension or glaucoma in humans by topical application of a therapeutic composition according to claim 1.
7. A method of treating ocular hypertension or glaucoma in humans by topical application of a therapeutic composition according to claim 5.
8. A therapeutic composition for the topical treatment of ocular hypertension or glaucoma in humans containing a prostaglandin in an amount sufficient to reduce intraocular pressure without causing substantial ocular irritation and an ophthalmologically compatible vehicle wherein said prostaglandin is 16-phenoxy-17,18,19,20-tetranorprostaglandin F.sub.2.varies..
9. A method for treating ocular hypertension or glaucoma in humans comprising topical administration of a therapeutically effective dose of the therapeutic composition of claim 8.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.