Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Controlled release of metal cation-stabilized interferon|
|Abstract:||This invention relates to a composition, and method of forming said composition, for the controlled release of interferon. The controlled release composition of this invention comprises a biocompatible polymer and particles of metal cation-stabilized interferon, wherein the particles are dispersed within the biocompatible polymer. The method of the invention, for producing a composition for the controlled release of interferon, includes dissolving a polymer in a polymer solvent to form a polymer solution, dispersing particles of metal cation stabilized-interferon particles in the polymer solution, and then solidifying the polymer to form a polymeric matrix containing a dispersion of the interferon particles.|
|Inventor(s):||Tracy; Mark A. (Arlington, MA), Bernstein; Howard (Cambridge, MA), Khan; M. Amin (Downingtown, PA)|
|Assignee:||Alkermes Controlled Therapeutics, Inc. (Cambridge, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 18, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A composition for the controlled release of interferon from a polymeric matrix, comprising: |
a) a biocompatible polymer; and
b) particles of metal cation-complexed interferon, with a metal cation-to-interferon molar ratio between about 1:1 and 10:1, wherein said particles are dispersed within the biocompatible polymer.
2. The controlled release composition of claim 1 wherein the metal cation-to-interferon molar ration is about 2:1.
3. The controlled release composition of claim 1 wherein the metal cation of said metal cation-complexed interferon contains at least one type of biocompatible multivalent cation, wherein said cation is not significantly oxidizing to interferon.
4. The controlled release composition of claim 3 wherein said multivalent cation is selected from the group consisting of Zn.sup.+2, Ca.sup.+2, Cu.sup.+2, Mg.sup.+2 and combinations thereof.
5. The controlled release composition of claim 1 wherein the interferon is interferon-.alpha..
6. The controlled release composition of claim 1 wherein the biocompatible polymer is biodegradable.
7. A controlled release composition of claim 6 wherein the biodegradable polymer is selected from the group consisting of poly(lactides), poly(glycolides), poly(lactide-co-glycolides), poly(lactic acid)s, poly(glycolic acid)s, poly(lactic acid-co-glycolic acid)s, polycaprolactone, polycarbonates, polyesteramides, polyanhydrides, poly(amino acids), polyorthoesters, polyacetals, polycyanoacrylates, polyetheresters, poly(dioxanone)s, poly(alkylene alkylate)s, copolymers of polyethylene glycol and polyorthoester, biodegradable polyurethanes, blends thereof and copolymers thereof.
8. A controlled release composition of claim 7 wherein said polymer comprises poly(lactide-co-glycolide).
9. A controlled release composition of claim 1 further comprising a second metal cation component, wherein the second metal cation component is not contained in said interferon particles, and wherein the second metal cation component is dispersed within the biocompatible polymer to modulate the release of interferon from the polymeric matrix.
10. A controlled release composition of claim 9 wherein the second metal cation component is selected from the group consisting of magnesium hydroxide, magnesium carbonate, calcium carbonate, zinc carbonate, magnesium acetate, zinc acetate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, magnesium chloride, zinc chloride, zinc citrate, magnesium citrate and a combination thereof.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.