Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method of treating seborrhea with 5-.alpha. reductase inhibitors|
|Abstract:||The instant invention involves a method of treating and/or reversing androgenic alopecia and promoting hair growth, and methods of treating acne vulgaris, seborrhea, and female hirsutism, by administering to a patient in need of such treatment a 5.alpha.-reductase 2 inhibitor, such as finasteride, in a dosage amount under 5 mgs/day.|
|Inventor(s):||Gormley; Glenn J. (Westfield, NJ), Kaufman; Keith D. (Westfield, NJ), Stoner; Elizabeth (Westfield, NJ), Waldstreicher; Joanne (Scotch Plains, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 30, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A method of treating seborrhea comprising orally administering to a person in need of such treatment a 5.alpha.-reductase 2 inhibitor of structural formula I ##STR3## |
or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof wherein:
R.sup.1 is hydrogen, methyl or ethyl;
R.sup.2 is a hydrocarbon radical selected from straight and branched chain alkyl of from 1-12 carbons or monocyclic aryl optionally containing 1 or more lower alkyl substituents of from 1-2 carbon atoms and/or 1 or more halogen (Cl, F or Br) substituents;
R' is hydrogen or methyl;
R" is hydrogen or .beta.-methyl; and
R'" is hydrogen, .alpha.-methyl or .beta.-methyl;
in a dosage amount from about 0.01 to 3.0 mg/day.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the dosage amount is from about 0.05 to 1.0 mg/day.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the dosage amount is from about 0.05 mg/day.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the dosage amount is about 1.0 mg/day.
5. The method of claim 2 wherein the dosage amount is about 0.2 mg/day.
6. A method of treating seborrhea comprising orally administering to a person in need of such treatment 17.beta.-(N-tert-butylcarbamoyl)-4-aza-5.alpha.-androst-1-ene-3-one in a dosage amount from about 0.01 to 3.0 mg/day.
7. The method of claim 6 wherein the dosage amount is from about 0.05 to 1.0 mg/day.
8. The method of claim 6 wherein the dosage amount is about 0.05 mg/day.
9. The method of claim 6 wherein the dosage amount is about 0.2 mg/day.
10. The method of claim 6 wherein the dosage amount is about 1.0 mg/day.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.