Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Methods and apparatus for the delivery of solid drug compositions|
|Abstract:||The invention features an implantable device for the automatic delivery of an active ingredient according to an adjustable delivery profile. The device includes a housing; a reservoir operatively connected to the housing and arranged to store a solid composition including the active ingredient; an actuator arranged within the housing to move the solid composition from the reservoir to a transit area, wherein the solid composition exits the housing at the transit area; a controller that acts on the actuator to adjust movement of the solid composition out of the housing according to the adjustable delivery profile; and a power source arranged to provide energy to the actuator and the controller. The solid composition can be an elongate, solid composition comprising a drug, and up to 90% of a carrier, wherein the composition has a cross-section of less than 0.5 mm, and wherein the drug and the carrier are selected and compounded in a proportion such that the drug is immediately released from the carrier upon contact with a liquid.|
|Inventor(s):||Cheikh; Roland Cherif (Issy-les-Moulineaux, FR)|
|Assignee:||Societe de Conseils de Recherches et d'Applications Scientifiques, S.A.S. (Paris, FR)|
|Filing Date:||May 19, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A method of automatically administering a drug to a patient according to a predetermined delivery profile, the method comprising: |
obtaining a device comprising
a reservoir operatively connected to the housing and loaded with a solid composition comprising the drug;
a transit assembly attached to said housing and configured to allow the solid composition to pass out of the housing;
an actuator arranged within the housing to move the solid composition from the reservoir to a transit assembly, wherein the solid composition exits the housing at the transit assembly, and
a controller that acts on the actuator to adjust movement of the solid composition out of the housing according to the predetermined delivery profile;
programming the controller of the device to cause the actuator to move the solid composition to the transit area according to the predetermined delivery profile;
bringing the transit area into contact with the body fluids of the patient, and
providing energy to the controller and the actuator to move the composition from the reservoir to the transit area to deliver the drug to body fluids of the patient according to the predetermined delivery profile.
2. A method of claim 1, wherein said delivery profile changes over time.
3. A method of claim 1, wherein said transit area is brought into contact with the body fluids of the patient by implanting said device into the patient.
4. A method of claim 1, wherein said drug is administered to the patient continuously for over 3 months according to said delivery profile.
5. A method of making a solid drug filament, said method comprising;
preparing a non-solid form of said drug,
extruding said non-solid drug into an elongate filament having a cross-section of less than 0.5 mm and a surface area to drug ratio of at least 10 square millimeters per milligram of said drug, and
solidifying said filament to form the solid drug filament.
6. A method of claim 5, wherein said non-solid form of said drug is prepared by mixing a carrier with a sufficient amount of a solvent to form a gel and mixing said gel with said drug to form a homogeneous, non-solid form, and further wherein said filament is solidified by removing said solvent.
7. A method of claim 5, wherein said non-solid form of said drug is prepared by mixing a carrier with said drug to form a mixture and heating said mixture to a temperature above a melting point of said carrier to generate said non-solid form, and further wherein said filament is solidified by cooling to a temperature below said melting point of said carrier.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.