Generated: April 29, 2017
|Title:||Preparation of biodegradable, biocompatible microparticles containing a biologically active agent|
|Abstract:||A method for preparing biodegradable, biocompatible microparticles. A first phase is prepared that includes a biodegradable, biocompatible polymer, an active agent, and a solvent. A second phase is prepared. The first and second phases are combined to form an emulsion in which the first phase is discontinuous and the second phase is continuous. The discontinuous first phase is separated from the continuous second phase. The residual level of solvent in the discontinuous first phase is reduced to less than about 2% by weight.|
|Inventor(s):||Rickey; Michael E. (Loveland, OH), Ramstack; J. Michael (Lebanon, OH), Lewis; Danny H. (Hartselle, AL)|
|Assignee:||Alkermes Controlled Therapeutics Inc. II. (Cambridge, MA)|
|Filing Date:||May 26, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A method for preparing microparticles, comprising: |
(A) preparing a first phase comprising a biodegradable and biocompatible polymer, a psychotherapeutic agent, and a solvent free from halogenated hydrocarbons;
(B) preparing an aqueous phase;
(C) combining said first phase and said aqueous phase in a static mixer to form an emulsion in which said first phase is discontinuous and said aqueous phase is continuous;
(D) separating said discontinuous first phase from said continuous aqueous phase; and
(E) reducing a residual level of said solvent in said discontinuous first phase to less than about 2% by weight.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein step (E) comprises:
washing said discontinuous first phase with an aqueous solution at a temperature in the range of from about 25.degree. C. to about 40.degree. C.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein step (E) comprises:
washing said discontinuous first phase with an aqueous solvent system comprising water and a second solvent for said solvent.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein said solvent is a solvent blend of at least two mutually miscible organic solvents.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said psychotherapeutic agent comprises at least one basic moiety.
6. The method of claim 2, wherein said aqueous solution comprises water and a C.sub.1 -C.sub.4 alcohol.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein said C.sub.1 -C.sub.4 alcohol is ethanol.
8. The method of claim 2, wherein said aqueous solution is water.
9. The method of claim 3, wherein said aqueous solvent system further comprises a C.sub.1 -C.sub.4 alcohol.
10. The method of claim 9, wherein said C.sub.1 -C.sub.4 alcohol is ethanol.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.