|Title:|| Dispersible antibody compositions and methods for their preparation and use|
|Abstract:||This invention relates to dispersible antibody compositions and methods for preparing and using these compositions. In particular, the present invention relates to dry powder dispersible antibody compositions wherein antibody conformation is preserved. The compositions have good powder dispersibility and other desirable characteristics for pulmonary delivery of therapeutic antibodies.|
|Inventor(s):|| Platz; Robert M. (Half Moon Bay, CA), Patton; John S. (San Carlos, CA), Foster; Linda C. (Mountain View, CA), Eljamal; Mohammed (Tripoli, LB) |
|Assignee:|| Inhale Therapeutic Systems, Inc. (San Carlos, CA) |
|Filing Date:||Jun 01, 1999|
|Claims:||1. An antibody-based dry powder composition for pulmonary delivery comprising a predetermined amount of antibody which is non-aggregated and is in its native conformation in respirable dry powder particles having a particle size less than 10 micrometers, wherein said composition has a delivered dose efficiency of at least about 30%. |
2. The composition of claim 1 which is dispersible.
3. The composition of claim 1 wherein the antibody is selected from the group consisting of IgG, IgA and IgM antibodies.
4. The composition of claim 1 which further comprises a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient or carrier.
5. The composition of claim 4 wherein the carrier or excipient is selected from the group consisting of sugars, alditols, organic salts, amino acids, polymers, proteins and peptides.
6. The composition of claim 1 wherein the antibody comprises at least about 40% by weight of the composition.
7. The composition of claim 1 wherein the particles in the powder have a particle size range of from about 0.4 .mu.m to about 5 .mu.m MMD.
8. The composition of claim 1 wherein the particles have an MMAD of less than about 5 .mu.m.
9. The composition of claim 1 which contains less than about 10% by weight moisture.
10. A method for preparing the composition of claim 1 comprising:
a) mixing the antibody with a solvent to form a solution or suspension; and
b) spray drying the mixture formed in step a) under conditions which provide a respirable dry powder, wherein the antibody is non-aggregated and is in its native conformation.
11. The method of claim 10 further comprising the step of adding a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient or carrier prior to spray drying.
12. The method of claim 10 wherein the solvent is selected from the group consisting of water and ethanol.
13. A method of treating or preventing a condition in an animal which condition may be prevented or alleviated by an antibody, the method comprising pulmonary administration of a therapeutically effective amount of the composition of claim 1 to an animal susceptible to or suffering from the condition.
14. The method of claim 13 wherein the condition is selected from the group consisting of inflammation, allergy, cancer, bacterial infection and viral infection.