Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Sustained release compositions and a method of preparing pharmaceutical compositions|
|Abstract:||A process for the manufacture of particles comprises mechanically working a mixture of a drug and a hydrophobic and/or hydrophilic fusible carrier in a high speed mixture so as to form agglomerates, breaking the agglomerates to give controlled release particles and optionally continuing the mechanical working with the optional addition of a low percentage of the carrier or diluent.|
|Inventor(s):||Miller; Ronald Brown (Basel, CH), Leslie; Stewart Thomas (Cambridge, GB), Malkowska; Sandra Therese Antoinette (Cambridge, GB), Prater; Derek Allan (Cambridge, GB), Knott; Trevor John (Essex, GB), Heafield; Joanne (Cambridge, GB), Challis; Deborah (Kent, GB)|
|Assignee:||Euro-Celtique, S.A. (Luxembourg, LU)|
|Filing Date:||Aug 09, 1999|
|Claims:||1. A process for the manufacture of controlled release particles, which comprises: |
(a) mechanically working in a high-speed mixer, a mixture of a particulate drug and a particulate, hydrophobic and/or hydrophilic fusible carrier or diluent having a melting point of 35 to 150.degree. C. and a release control component comprising water-soluble fusible material or a particulate, soluble or insoluble organic or inorganic material, at a speed and energy input which allows the carrier or diluent to melt or soften whereby it to forms agglomerates;
(b) breaking down the agglomerates to give controlled release particles;
(c) continuing mechanically working with the addition of a low percentage of the carrier or diluent.
2. A process according to claim 1, wherein during the mechanical working, step (c), heat is supplied thereto by microwave radiation.
3. A process according to claim 2, wherein only part of the heating is supplied by microwave radiation.
4. A process according to claim 1, wherein said drug is morphine, tramadol, hydromorphone, oxycodone, diamorphine or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt of any one of these.
5. A process according to claim 1, wherein said hydrophobic fusible carrier or diluent is a wax selected from the group consisting of hydrogenated vegetable oil, hydrogenated castor oil, Beeswax, Carnauba wax, microcrystalline wax and glycerol monostearate.
6. A process according to claim 1, wherein said water-soluble fusible material included in the mixture in step (a) is PEG having a molecular weight of from about 1,000 to about 20,000.
7. A process according to claim 6, wherein said PEG has a molecular weight of from about 1,000 to about 6,000.
8. A process according to claim 6, wherein said water-soluble fusible material is a poloxamer.
9. A process according to claim 1, wherein the fusible carrier or diluent is added stepwise during mechanical working.
10. The method according to claim 1, wherein the drug is unstable in water.
11. The process according to claim 1, further comprising the step of placing the particles in a capsule.
12. The process according to claim 1, further comprising the step of compressing the particles into a solid dosage form.
13. The process according to claim 1, further comprising repeating step (c) one or more times.
14. The process according to claim 1, further comprising repeating steps (b) and (c) one or more times.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.