DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Multimeric antithrombotic agents|
|Abstract:||This invention relates to antithrombotic agents and uses thereof. Specifically, the invention relates to chemical moieties that specifically bind to platelets and inhibit their aggregation, including linear and cyclic peptides. The invention provides methods for using these antithrombotic agents to prevent the formation of thrombi at sites in a mammalian body. In particular, the platelet-specific binding moieties including linear and cyclic peptides of the invention are covalently linked to a polyvalent linker moiety, so that the polyvalent linker moiety is covalently linked to a multiplicity of the platelet-specific binding moieties including linear and cyclic peptides. Effficacious antithrombotic agents are thereby provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Dean; Richard T. (Bedford, NH), Lister-James; John (Bedford, NH)|
|Assignee:||Diatide, Inc. (Londonderry, NH)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 06, 1995|
|Claims:||1. A multimeric antithrombotic agent comprising: |
(a) at least two copies of a platelet-binding moiety comprising a ligand for a platelet GPIIb/IIIa receptor; and
(b) a polyvalent linking moiety which is covalently bonded to each platelet-binding moiety thereby linking the platelet-binding moieties;
wherein said agent has a molecular weight of less than about 20,000 daltons.
2. The agent of claim 1, wherein said polyvalent linking moiety comprises at least two identical functional groups, wherein each functional group is capable of covalently bonding to said platelet-binding moiety.
3. The agent of claim 2, wherein each of said functional groups is selected from the group consisting of a primary amine, a secondary amine, a hydroxyl group, a carboxylic acid group and a thiol-reactive group.
4. The agent of claim 1, wherein said polyvalent linking moiety comprises a a branched polyvalent linking moiety.
5. The agent of claim 1, wherein said polyvalent linking moiety is selected from the group consisting of bis-succinimidylmethylether, tris(succinimidylethyl)amine, a derivative of bis-succinimidylmethylether and a derivative of tris(succinimidylethyl)amine.
6. The agent of claim 1, wherein each platelet-binding moiety is covalently bonded to said polyvalent linking moiety by a functional group selected from the group consisting of a primary amine, a secondary amine, a hydroxyl group, a carboxy acid group and a thiol-reactive group.
7. A method for preventing thrombosis within a mammalian body comprising the step of administering an effective therapeutic amount of the agent of claim 1 in a pharmaceutical carrier.