DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Method and device for delivering aerosolized medicaments|
|Abstract:||A device for accurately delivering aerosolized doses of a medicament disperses a measured amount of drug in a measured volume of carrier gas and transfers the resulting aerosol to a chamber prior to inhalation by a patient. The chamber is filled efficiently with the aerosol, and inhalation by the patient draws the aerosol dose into the lungs. This is followed by the inhalation of atmospheric air that will push the initial dose well into the lung interiors. The apparatus optimally includes a dose regulator, a counter, a clock, a dose memory and a signal to indicate when a dose is ready for inhalation. Optimal chamber designs are disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Patton; John S. (San Carlos, CA), Platz; Robert M. (Half Moon Bay, CA)|
|Assignee:||Inhale Therpeutic Systems (San Carlos, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Nov 26, 1997|
|Claims:||1. An apparatus for producing aerosolized doses of a medicament, said apparatus comprising: |
a reservoir that contains a pre-selected amount of a medicament;
means for aerosolizing the preselected amount of medicament using pressurized gas to produce a flow of aerosolized medicament;
means for delivering pressurized gas to the aerosolizing means;
a chamber having an air inlet and a mouthpiece and being connected to receive and temporarily hold the entire flow of aerosolized medicament from the aerosolizing means for subsequent delivery to a patient, wherein gas present in the chamber will be displaced by the aerosolized medicament; and
a controller including means for selectively controlling the amount of pressurized gas delivered to the aerosolizing means, whereby delivery of single doses of medicament to the chamber may be effected.
2. An apparatus as in claim 1, wherein the controller includes means for timing actuation of the pressurized gas delivering means.
3. An apparatus as in claim 1, wherein the controller includes means for counting and displaying the number of doses delivered to the chamber.
4. An apparatus as in claim 1, wherein the controller includes a microprocessor and a keypad for inputting information to the microprocessor.
5. A hand-held, portable apparatus for producing an aerosolized dose of a medicament for delivery to a patient, said apparatus comprising:
a reservoir that contains a preselected amount of a medicament;
a preselected amount of aerosol-generating material for producing an aerosolized dose of said medicament;
a controller for delivering the preselected amount of aerosol generating material to an aerosol generator to withdraw substantially the entire amount of the medicament from the reservoir and form the aerosolized dose of medicament; and
an actuator for activating the controller to deliver the aerosol-generating material to the aerosol generator to produce the aerosolized dose of medicament having an aerodynamic size in the range from 1 to 5 microns wherein said aerosolized dose may be withdrawn from the apparatus by a patient using a slow deep inspiration.
6. The apparatus of claim 5, wherein the aerosol generating material is selected from the group consisting of compressed air, compressed gas, and liquid propellants.
7. The apparatus of claim 5, wherein actuation of the aerosol generating material is timed to adequately aerosolize the dose of medicament.
8. The apparatus of claim 5, wherein the controller includes a counter and display for counting and displaying the number of doses delivered to the chamber.
9. The apparatus of claim 5, wherein the controller includes a microprocessor and a keypad for inputting information to the microprocessor.
10. The apparatus of claim 9, wherein the keypad is programmed to display a choice of dose sizes of the aerosolized medicament on an LCD.