|Title:||Sustained release heterodisperse hydrogel systems for insoluble drugs|
|Abstract:||A sustained release pharmaceutical formulation includes a sustained release excipient including a gelling agent, an inert pharmaceutical diluent, an optional cationic cross-linking agent, and a medicament having moderate to poor solubility is disclosed. In certain embodiments, the sustained release excipient is granulated with a solution or suspension of a hydrophobic polymer in an amount effective to slow the hydration of the gelling agent when the formulation is exposed to an environmental fluid. In another embodiment, the tablet is coated with a hydrophobic polymer.|
|Inventor(s):||Baichwal; Anand R. (Wappinger Falls, NY)|
|Assignee:||Edward Mendell Co., Inc. (Patterson, NY)|
|Filing Date:||Dec 08, 1998|
|Claims:||1. A sustained release composition, comprising: |
a matrix containing a mixture of an effective amount of a medicament having a solubility of less than about 10 g/l to render a therapeutic effect; a gelling agent; an inert pharmaceutical diluent; and a pharmaceutically acceptable cationic cross-linking with said gelling agent and increasing the gel strength when the dosage form is exposed to an environmental fluid, the ratio of said diluent to said gelling agent being from about 1:8 to about 8:1.
2. The sustained release composition of claim 1, wherein said gelling agent comprises a heteropolysaccharide gum and a homopolysaccharide capable of cross-linking said heteropolysaccharide gum when exposed to an environmental fluid.
3. The sustained release composition of claim 1, wherein said gelling agent comprises xanthan gum and locust bean gum in a ratio from about 1:3 to about 3:1.
4. The sustained release composition of claim 1, wherein said medicament comprises a dihydropyridine.
5. The sustained release composition of claim 1, wherein said cationic cross-linking agent comprises from about 0.5% to about 16% by weight of said sustained release composition.
6. The sustained release composition of claim 1, which further comprises an effective amount of a pharmaceutically acceptable wetting agent for said medicament.
7. The sustained release composition of claim 1 which is a tablet, at least part of a surface of said tablet being coated with a hydrophobic polymer to a weight gain from about 1 to about 20 percent, by weight.
8. The sustained release composition of claim 7, wherein said coating comprises a hydrophobic material selected from the group consisting of an alkylcellulose, a copolymer of acrylic and methacrylic acid esters, waxes, shellac, zein, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and a mixture of any of the foregoing.
9. The sustained release composition of claim 1, wherein the mixture of said medicament, said gelling agent, said inert pharmaceutical diluent and said cationic cross-linking agent further includes a hydrophobic material selected from the group consisting of an alkylcellulose, a hydrophobic cellulosic material, a copolymer of acrylic and methacrylic acid esters, hydrogenated vegetable oils, shellac, waxes, zein and mixtures of any of the foregoing, said hydrophobic material being included in an amount effective to slow the hydration of said gelling agent when said dosage form is exposed to an environmental fluid.
10. The sustained release composition of claim 1, wherein said mixture is compressed into a tablet.
11. The sustained release composition of claim 9, wherein said mixture is compressed into a tablet.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.