|Title:||Topical composition containing hyaluronic acid and NSAIDS|
|Abstract:||A pharmaceutical composition is provided comprising a plurality of effective non-toxic dosage amounts of a composition for topical administration to the site of pathology and/or trauma of skin and/or exposed tissue of a human patient in need of treatment suffering from a disease or condition. Each such dosage amount comprises a therapeutically effective non-toxic (to the patient) dosage amount of a drug for the treatment of the disease and/or condition of the skin and/or exposed tissue at the site of the pathology and/or trauma and an effective non-toxic dosage amount of hyaluronic acid and/or salts thereof to transport (to facilitate or cause the transport of) the drug to the site of the pathology and/or trauma of the disease or condition.|
|Inventor(s):||Falk; Rudolf Edgar (Toronto, CA), Asculai; Samuel Simon (Toronto, CA)|
|Assignee:||Hyal Pharmaceutical Corporation (Mississauga, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 06, 1995|
|Claims:||1. A method of percutaneous delivery of a therapeutically effective dosage amount of a drug which inhibits prostaglandin synthesis in a patient, said dosage amount taken from a pharmaceutical composition and applied to the skin of a human, the drug being transported to the site of trauma or pathology, on or in the skin of the human to treat a disease on condition of the skin, the method comprising topically administering to the skin at the site of the trauma or pathology, the therapeutically effective, non-toxic dosage amount of the composition consisting essentially of an effective amount of the drug which inhibits prostaglandin synthesis and an effective non-toxic amount of a form of hyaluronic acid selected from the group consisting of hyaluronic acid and pharmaceutically acceptable salts thereof sufficient to transport the drug to the epidermis to the site of the trauma or pathology to block the synthesis of prostaglandin, wherein the amount of the form of hyaluronic acid exceeds at least about 5 mg/cm.sup.2 of the skin to which the composition is to be applied and wherein the molecular weight of the form of hyaluronic acid is between 150,000 and 750,000 daltons, and wherein the form of hyaluronic acid is between about 1% and about 3% by weight of the composition and the drug is between 1% and about 5% by weight of the composition. |
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the form of hyaluronic acid is sodium hyaluronate.
3. The method of claim 1 or 2 wherein the molecular weight of the form of hyaluronic acid is less than 750,000 daltons but greater than 600,000 daltons.
4. The method of claim 1, 2 or 3 wherein the drug is an anti-cancer drug.
5. The method of claim 3 wherein the drug is mitoxantrone dihydrochloride in the dosage amount of the composition and the form of hyaluronic add in the dosage amount is in excess of about 5 mg of sodium hyaluronate per cm.sup.2 of the skin or exposed tissue (about 2.5% of the composition), to which the dosage amount is applied for the percutaneous transport of the mitoxantrone dihydrochloride.
6. The method of claim 1, 2 or 3 wherein the drug Is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug selected from the group consisting of diclofenac, indomethacin, naproxen, (+/-) tromethamine salt of ketorolac, Ibuprofen, piroxicam, acetylsalicylic acid and flunixin.