Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Process of making solid ribavirin dosage forms|
|Abstract:||A process of making an orally administrable solid dosage form containing a compacted ribavirin composition having an advantageously high tap density of at least 0.6 g/mL as well as surprisingly rapid disintegration and dissolution rates and wherein the ribavirin is substantially free of polymorphic forms of ribavirin as determined is disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Liebowitz; Stephen M. (Neshanic Station, NJ), Stupak; Elliot I. (West Caldwell, NJ), Chaudry; Imtiaz A. (North Caldwell, NJ), Vadino; Winston A. (Whitehouse Station, NJ), Bowen; Frank E. (Rutherford, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Schering Corporation (N/A)|
|Filing Date:||Dec 22, 1997|
|Claims:||1. A method of producing a rapidly dissolving compacted ribavirin composition which comprises the steps of: |
(a) admixing an antivirally effective amount of ribavirin, an effective amount of a pharmaceutically acceptable disintegrant, and an effective amount of at least one filler for a time sufficient and at a temperature wherein the heat produced is insufficient; and to form a homogeneous mixture;
b) compacting the homogeneous mixture of Step (a) at a compressing force in the range of about 50 to about 75 kN for a time sufficient to produce an acceptable compact wherein the ribavirin is substantially free of polymorphic forms of ribavirin;
c) admixing the acceptable compact of Step (b) with an effective amount of a lubricant for a time sufficient to produce a uniform, rapidly dissolving compacted ribavirin composition having a uniformly high tap density of at least about 0.60 glmL and wherein 80% of the rapidly dissolving compacted ribavirin composition dissolves in water in about 30 minutes.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the rapidly dissolving compacted ribavirin has a tap density in the range of about 0.75 g/mL to about .0.85 g/mL.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein more than about 90% of the rapidly dissolving compacted ribavirin composition dissolves in water in about 15 minutes.
4. The product produced by the method of claim 1.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein at least one filler is selected from the group consisting of lactose anhydrous, lactose monohydrate, sucrose, mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starches, dibasic calcium phosphate dihydrate,calcium sulfate dihydrate and calcium sulfate trihydrate.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein one of the fillers is lactose monohydrate.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the other fillers is microcrystalline cellulose.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein the disintegrant is selected from the group consisting of croscarmellose sodium, sodium starch glycolate, corn starch, pregelatinized starch, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, potato starch, microcrystalline cellulose, cross-linked polyvinylpyrrolidone, magnesium aluminium silicate, bentonite, alginic acid and alginates.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein the disintegrant is croscarmellose sodium.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein the lubricant is selected from the group consisting of magnesium stearate, calcium stearate, zinc stearate, talc, propylene glycol, PEG 4000, PEG 5000, PEG 6000, and stearic acid.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein the lubricant is magnesium stearate.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.