Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Methods and formulations for preventing progression of neuropathic pain|
|Abstract:||A method of preventing progression of neuropathic pain is disclosed. The method includes administering to a subject an N-type voltage-sensitive calcium channel blocking compound which is characterized by its ability to (a) inhibit electrically stimulated contraction of the guinea pig ileum, and (b) bind selectively to omega conopeptide MVIIA binding sites present in neuronal tissue. Also disclosed are formulations effective to stabilize omega conotoxin peptide preparations at elevated temperatures. Novel omega conopeptides also form part of the invention.|
|Inventor(s):||Amstutz; Gary Arthur (San Jose, CA), Bowersox; Stephen Scott (Menlo Park, CA), Gohil; Kishorchandra (Richmond, CA), Adriaenssens; Peter Isadore (Mountain View, CA), Kristipati; Ramasharma (Fremont, CA)|
|Assignee:||Elan Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (South San Francisco, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Nov 07, 1997|
|Claims:||1. A method of preventing progression of neuropathic pain in a subject at risk for developing such pain, comprising administering to the subject an N-type voltage-sensitive calcium channel blocking compound which is effective (a) to inhibit electrically stimulated contraction of the guinea pig ileum, and (b) to bind selectively to omega conopeptide MVITA binding sites present in neuronal tissue, as evidenced by the ability of the compounds to displace MVIIA from said site. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said N-type calcium channel blocking compound is an omega-conopeptide.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein said conopeptide is selected from the group consisting of SEQ ID NO: 7 (TVIA/SNX-185), SEQ ID NO: 1 (MVIIA/SNX-111), SEQ ID NO: 30 (SNX-236), SEQ ID NO: 2 (SNX-159), SEQ ID NO: 32 (SNX-239), SEQ ID NO: 33 (SNX-199), SEQ ID NO: 35 (SNX-273), SEQ ID NO: 36 (SNX-279), and derivatives thereof.
4. The method of claim 2, wherein said conopeptide composition includes an anti-oxidant effective to prevent methionine oxidation.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the activities of the compound in inhibition of guinea pig ileum and in binding to the MVIIA binding site are within the ranges of such activities of omega-conotoxins MVIIA and TVIA.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said activity to bind selectively to omega conopeptide MVIIA binding sites is further evidenced by a selectivity ratio of binding at said MVIIA binding site to binding at a site 2 omega conopeptide binding site which is within the range of selectivity ratios determined for omega conopeptides MVIIA/SNX-111, SNX-199, SNX-236, SNX-239 and TVIA/SNX-185.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein said administering is by perineural application.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein said administering is by topical application to a skin region characterized by proliferation of neurite outgrowth.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein said neuropathic pain is characterized by nociceptor sensitization.
10. The method of claim 1, wherein said N-type calcium channel compound is an omega conopeptide, said administering is by epidural injection, and said treatment method further includes means for enhancing permeation of the conopeptide through meningeal membranes.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.