Generated: April 26, 2017
|Title:||Apparatus for the delivery of elongate solid drug compositions|
|Abstract:||The invention features an implantable device for the automatic delivery of an active ingredient according to an adjustable delivery profile. The device includes a housing; a reservoir operatively connected to the housing and arranged to store an elongate solid composition including the active ingredient, such as a filament of tape; an actuator arranged within the housing to move the solid composition from the reservoir to a transit assembly, providing a water-tight seal wherein the solid composition exits the housing at the transit assembly; a controller that acts on the actuator to adjust movement of the solid composition out of the housing according to the adjustable delivery profile; and a power source arranged to provide energy to the actuator and the controller. The solid composition can be an elongate, solid composition comprising a drug, and up to 90% of a carrier, wherein the composition has a cross-section of less than 0.5 mm, and wherein the drug and the carrier are selected and compounded in a proportion such that the drug is immediately released from the carrier upon contact with a liquid.|
|Inventor(s):||Cheikh; Roland Cherif (Issy-Les-Moulineaux, FR)|
|Assignee:||Delab (Paris, FR)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 02, 1994|
|Claims:||1. A sterilizable and implantable device for the automatic parenteral delivery of a drug according to an adjustable delivery profile, said device, comprising; |
a housing sealed watertight;
a reservoir arranged within said housing to store an elongate solid composition comprising said drug;
a transit assembly attached to said housing and configured to allow the elongate solid composition to pass out of the housing while maintaining a watertight seal around the solid composition;
an actuator comprising a wheel and arranged within said housing to contact and move the solid composition from said reservoir to said transit assembly, wherein the solid composition exits said housing through said transit assembly;
a controller that acts on said actuator to adjust movement of the solid composition out of said housing according to the adjustable delivery profile; and
a power source arranged to provide energy to said actuator and said controller.
2. A device of claim 1, wherein said reservoir contains said solid composition, and wherein said composition comprises up to 90 percent, by weight, of a carrier.
3. A device of claim 2, wherein said composition comprises between 10 and 70 percent, by weight, of said carrier.
4. A device of claim 2, wherein said carrier is a cellulose derivative, hyaluronic acid, sugar, or gelatin.
5. A device of claim 2, wherein said carrier is a plastic, cotton, or silk.
6. A device of claim 1, wherein the drug is a polypeptide, protein, or peptide.
7. A device of claim 1, wherein the drug is adrenalin, xylocaine, morphine, a corticoid compound, atropine, a cytostatic compound, estrogen, androgen, interleukin, digitoxin, biotin, testosterone, heparin, cyclosporin, penicillin, a vitamin, an anti-platelet activating factor agent, somatostatin, triptorelin, or diazepam.
8. A device of claim 1, wherein said drug is a insulin.
9. A device of claim 1, wherein said device is implantable within a patient.
10. A device of claim 1, wherein said device is adapted for use in an aqueous environment, and said housing is filled with an oil.
11. A device of claim 1, wherein said housing comprises an opening sealed with a flexible membrane arranged to flex into or out of said housing in response to ambient pressure around said device.
12. A device of claim 1, wherein said device is adapted to store and deliver the solid composition in the form of a filament.
13. A device of claim 1, wherein said actuator comprises two rotating wheels arranged to contact and move the solid composition from said reservoir to said transit area.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.