Generated: April 27, 2017
|Title:||Pulmonary delivery of active fragments of parathyroid hormone|
|Abstract:||Systemic delivery of parathyroid hormone to a mammalian host is accomplished by inhalation through the mouth of a dispersion of an N-terminal fragment of PTH. It has been found that such respiratory delivery of the PTH fragment provides a pulsatile concentration profile of the PTH in the host's serum. PTH fragment compositions include dry powder formulations having the PTH present in a dry bulking powder, liquid solutions or suspensions suitable for nebulization, and aerosol propellants suitable for use in a metered dose inhaler.|
|Inventor(s):||Patton; John S. (San Carlos, CA)|
|Assignee:||Inhale Therapeutic Systems (San Carlos, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 28, 1996|
|Claims:||1. A method for pulsatile systemic delivery of an N-terminal peptide fragment of parathyroid hormone (PTH) to a mammalian subject, said method comprising: |
inhalation through the mouth by the subject of a dispersion of an N-terminal peptide fragment of PTH consisting of the first 34 to 38 amino acids of SEO ID No. 1 resulting in deposition of the peptide fragment in the alveolar region of the lungs and a subsequent rapid rise followed by a rapid fall in the serum concentration of said peptide fragment.
2. A method as in claim 1, wherein the total dosage of PTH fragment is in the range from 100 .mu.g to 2,000 .mu.g per day, resulting in systemic availability in the range from 50.mu.g to 500 .mu.g per day.
3. A method as in claim 1, wherein the PTH fragment dispersion comprises a dry powder including a bulking agent.
4. A method as in claim 1, wherein the PTH fragment dispersion comprises a nebulized liquid solution or suspension of the PTH fragment.
5. A method as in claim 1, wherein the PTH fragment dispersion comprises a dry powder and an aerosol propellant.
6. A method as in claim 1, further comprising administering vitamin D or dietary calcium to the host in order to treat osteoporosis.
7. A method for pulsatile systemic delivery of an active fragment of parathyroid hormone (PTH) to a patient, said method comprising:
(a) dispersing a preselected amount of a PTH fragment consisting of the first 34 to 38 amino acids of SEO ID No. 1 in a volume of gas to produce an aerosolized bolus;
(b) inhaling of the aerosolized bolus by the patient through the mouth and into the alveolar region of the lungs; and
repeating steps (a) and (b) a sufficient number of times until a desired total dosage of PTH fragment is delivered.
8. A method as in claim, 7 wherein the aerosolized bolus contains from about 50 .mu.g to 500 .mu.g of PTH fragment and the total dosage is from about 100 .mu.g to 2,000 .mu.g per day, resulting in systemic availability in the range from 50 .mu.g to 500 .mu.g per day.
9. A method as in claim 7, wherein the aerosolized bolus has a volume in the range from 10 ml to 750 ml.
10. A method as in claim 7, wherein the PTH fragment is dispersed in an aerosol of particles in the size range from 0.5 .mu.m to 5 .mu.m.
11. A method as in claim 7, wherein the PTH fragment comprises a dry powder present in a bulking agent, and dispersing comprises introducing the dry powder into a high velocity gas stream.
12. A method as in claim 7, wherein the PTH fragment comprises a liquid solution or suspension, and dispersing comprises nebulization of the liquid.
13. A method as in claim 7, wherein the PTH fragment comprises a liquid or powder present in a propellant, and dispersing comprises releasing the propellant through a nozzle to produce the dispersion.
14. A method as in claim 7, further comprising administering vitamin D or dietary calcium to the patient in order to treat osteoporosis.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.