|Title:|| Methods for regulating gastrointestinal motility|
|Abstract:||Methods for treating conditions associated with elevated, inappropriate or undesired post-prandial blood glucose levels are disclosed which comprise administration of an effective amount of an amylin agonist alone or in conjunction with other anti-gastric emptying agents. Methods for reducing gastric motility and delaying gastric emptying for therapeutic and diagnostic purposes are also described.|
|Inventor(s):|| Kolterman; Orville G. (Poway, CA), Rink; Timothy J. (La Jolla, CA) |
|Assignee:|| Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc. (San Diego, CA) |
|Filing Date:||Jun 05, 1995|
|Claims:||1. A method of treating gastric hypomotility in a subject comprising administering to said subject a therapeutically effective amount of an amylin antagonist. |
2. A method of accelerating gastric emptying in a subject comprising administering to said subject a therapeutically effective amount of an amylin antagonist.
3. The method of claim 1 or 2 wherein said hypomotility is a consequence of diabetic neuropathy.
4. The method of claim 1 or 2 wherein said hypomotility is a consequence of anorexia nervosa.
5. A method according to any of claims 1-4 wherein said amylin antagonist is an amylin receptor antagonist.
6. A method according to claim 5 wherein said amylin antagonist is acetyl-.sup.11,18 Arg, .sup.30 Asn, .sup.32 Tyr-.sup.9-32 calcitonin(salmon) [SEQ. ID. NO.3].