DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Controlled release of steroids from sugar coatings|
|Abstract:||A compressed medicinal tablet comprising a tablet core and a sugar coating, said sugar coating containing a dose of a hormonal steroid and a steroid release rate controlling amount of microcrystalline cellulose.|
|Inventor(s):||Barcomb; Reginald J. (Mooers Forks, NY)|
|Assignee:||American Home Products Corporation (Madison, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Apr 24, 1996|
|Claims:||1. In a pharmaceutical tablet comprising an internal compressed core and an external sugar coating, wherein said compressed core optionally contains no pharmacologically-active agent or one or more non-steroidal, pharmacologically-active agents that are conventionally administered in conjunction with a hormonal steroid, the improvement which comprises the incorporation of a hormonal steroid and a hormonal steroid release rate controlling amount of micro-crystalline cellulose in said sugar coating. |
2. In a pharmaceutical tablet comprising a non-medicated, compressed core and a sugar coating, the improvement comprising incorporating a hormonal steroid and a hormonal steroid release rate controlling amount of microcrystalline cellulose in said sugar coating.
3. A pharmaceutical tablet of claim 1, in which said sugar present in said coating composition is sucrose.
4. A pharmaceutical tablet of claim 1 in which said hormonal steroid present in said sugar coating is medroxyprogesterone acetate, levonorgestrel, gestodene, medrogestone, estradiol, estriol, ethinylestradiol, mestranol, estrone, dienestrol, hexestrol, diethylstilbestrol, progesterone, desogestrel, norgestimate, hydroxyprogesterone, norethindrone, norethindone acetate, norgestrel, megestrol acetate, methyltestosterone, ethylestrenol, methandienone, oxandrolone, trimegestone or dienogest.
5. A pharmaceutical tablet of claim 1 in which said sugar coating comprises sucrose, from about 0.1% to about 3% microcrystalline cellulose, by weight, polyvinylpyrrolidone in an amount of from 0 to about 5% by weight and a hormonal steroid in an amount of from about 0.1 to about 20% by weight.
6. A pharmaceutical tablet of claim 1 in which said sugar coat contains an estrogenic steroid and a progestogenic steroid.