Anticipate generic drug launch
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Pharmaceutical tablet capable of liberating one or more drugs at different release rates|
|Abstract:||Pharmaceutical tablet consisting of a first layer containing one or more drugs with immediate or controlled release formulation, a second layer containing one or more drugs, either equal to or different from the first layer, with slow release formulation, and a low-permeability barrier-type layer coating said second layer or, alternatively, placed between the first and second layer and, if necessary, containing a drug.|
|Inventor(s):||Conte; Ubaldo (Busto Arsizio, IT), La Manna; Aldo (Pavia, IT), Maggi; Lauretta (Pavia, IT)|
|Assignee:||Jagotec AG (Hergiswil, CH)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 24, 1995|
|Claims:||1. Pharmaceutical compressed tablet capable of releasing one or more drugs at two different steps, consisting of three layers of discoidal shape, obtained by compression of the mixture of the granular components and wherein: |
a first layer, which carries out a first release step, contains one or more drugs with immediate or controlled release formulation, comprising polymeric substances which swell or solubilize when contacted with aqueous liquids, said polymeric substances selected from the group consisting of cross-linked polyvinylpyrrolidone, low and medium molecular weight hydroxypropyl cellulose and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, cross-linked sodium carboxymethylcellulose, carboxymethyl starch, potassium methacrylate-divinylbenzene copolymer, polyvinyl alcohols, starches, microcrystalline cellulose and .beta.-cyclodextrin, said polymeric substances amounting to from about 1% to about 90% by weight of said first layer;
a second layer adjacent to the first layer and carrying out a second release step, contains one or more drugs, either equal to or different from those of the first layer with slow release formulation, comprising polymeric substances which swell or erode or are gellable when contacted with aqueous liquids said polymeric substances selected from the group consisting of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose having a molecular weight from 1000 to 4,000,000, hydroxypropyl cellulose having molecular weight from 2,000 to 2,000,000, carboxyvinyl polymers, polyvinyl alcohols, glucans, scleroglucans, mannans, xanthans, alginic acid, and carboxymethylcellulose, said polymeric substances amounting to from about 5% to about 90% by weight of said second layer; and
a third barrier layer having low permeability and coating the free surface of said second layer and comprising polymeric substances selected from the group consisting of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose having a molecular weight from 1,000 to 4,000,000, hydroxypropyl cellulose having molecular weight from 2,000 to 2,000,000, glucans, scleroglucans, mannans, xanthans, carboxymethylcellulose, ethylcellulose, and methylcellulose said polymeric substances amounting to from about 5% to about 90% by weight of said third layer.
2. The compressed tablet according to claim 1 wherein barrier layer coats partially the second layer, the remaining surface of second layer being covered by first layer.
3. The compressed tablet according to claim 1, wherein said first layer is 0.5 to 5 mm thick.
4. The compressed tablet according to claim 1, wherein said second layer is 0.5 to 5 mm thick.
5. The compressed tablet according to claim 1, wherein said barrier layer is 0.1 to 4.5 mm thick.
6. The compressed tablet according to claim 1, wherein said drugs are selected from the group consisting of diclofenac sodium, indomethacin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, diflunisal, piroxicam, naproxen, flurbiprofen, tolmentin sodium, ampicillin, amoxycillin, cephradine, clavulanic acid, cephachlor, cephalexin, cloxacillin, erythromycin, their salts nitrofurantoin, nalidixic acid, oxolinic acid, pipemidic acid diazepam, nitrazepam, flurazepam, oxazepam, chlordiazepoxide, medazepam, lorazepam, diltiazem, trapidil, urapidil, benziodarone, dipiridamole, lidoflazine, naphthydrofuryl oxalate, perhexeline maleate, oxyfedrine hydrochloride, ephedrine, terfenadine, theophylline, L-dopa, carbidopa and chlorpheniramine.
7. The compressed tablet of claim 1 wherein said polymeric substances of said second layer may be further selected from the group consisting of poly(methyl vinyl ethers/maleic anhydride), ethylcellulose and methylcellulose.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.