Find generic entry opportunities
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method for modifying and regulating lipid metabolism|
|Abstract:||A process for the long term modification and regulation of lipid and glucose metabolism--generally to reduce obesity, insulin resistance, and hyperinsulinemia or hyperglycemia, or both (these being the hallmarks of noninsulin dependent, or Type II diabetes)--by administration to a vertebrate, animal or human, of a dopamine agonist and a prolactin stimulator. The dopamine agonist and prolactin stimulator are administered in daily dosages, respectively, at a time of day dependent on the normal circadian rhythm of fat and lean members of a similar species. Decreases in body fat deposits result by treatment of an obese species on a daily timed sequence based on circadian rhythms of the peak prolactin, or peak prolactin and peak glucocorticosteroid, blood level established for lean insulin sensitive members of a similar species. The dopamine agonist is administered at the time of, or just after the time of peak plasma prolactin concentration found in lean animals of the same species and the prolactin stimulator is administered at a time just before the plasma prolactin rhythm reaches its peak in lean animals. Insulin resistance, and hyperinsulinemia or hyperglycemia, or both, can also be controlled in humans on a long term basis by treatment corresponding to that of the treatment for obesity. The short term daily injections reset hormonal timing in the neural centers of the brain to produce long term effects.|
|Inventor(s):||Cincotta; Anthony H. (Andover, MA), Meier; Albert H. (Baton Rouge, LA)|
|Assignee:||The Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State and Agricultural and (Baton Rouge, LA) ERGO Research Corporation (Wakefield, RI)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 05, 1995|
|Claims:||1. A method for modifying and regulating lipid metabolism in an animal or human subject in need of such treatment comprising: |
(a) administering to said subject a prolactin-inhibiting compound at a predetermined time; and
(b) additionally administering to said subject daily a prolactin stimulating compound at a different predetermined time;
wherein each compound is administered in a dosage amount and for a period of time sufficient to achieve in said subject either a decrease in body fat stores or an increase in body fat stores.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the prolactin-inhibiting compound is a dopamine agonist.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein at least one of said decrease or increase continues for at an extended period of time after cessation of administration of said dopamine agonist.
4. The method of claim 2 wherein the period of administration of said dopamine agonist is sufficient to modify and reset the neural phase oscillations controlling at least one of the prolactin and glucocorticosteroid bloodstream levels of said subject.
5. The method of claim 4 wherein the dopamine agonist is administered once a day, and said dosage amount is within the range from about 3 micrograms to about 100 micrograms per pound of body weight of said subject.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein said subject is a human.
7. The Method of claim 1 wherein the prolactin-inhibiting compound is administered once a day for a period of time within the range from about 30 days to about 150 days.
8. The method of claim 2 wherein said human subject suffers from obesity and the dopamine agonist is administered once a day shortly after the time at which the prolactin bloodstream level peaks in a lean, insulin sensitive human of the same sex as said human subject, thereby decreasing body fat stores in said human subject.
9. The method of claim 2 wherein said compound is selected from the group consisting of 6-methyl-8-beta-carbobenzyloxy-aminoethyl-10 alpha-ergoline; 1,6-dimethyl-8-beta-carbobenzyloxy-aminoethyl-10 alpha-ergoline; 8-acylaminoergolenes; ergocornine, 9,10-dihydroergocomine; bromocriptine, and D-2-halo-6-alkyl-8-substituted ergolines.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
11. The method of claim 2 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
12. The method of claim 3 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
13. The method of claim 4 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
14. The method of claim 5 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
15. The method of claim 6 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
16. The method of claim 7 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
17. The method of claim 8 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
18. The method of claim 9 wherein said prolactin-inhibiting compound is bromocriptine.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.