Generated: May 29, 2017
|Title:||Delivery system for controlled release of bioactive factors|
|Abstract:||A composition and method for controlled release of water-soluble proteins comprising a surface-eroding polymer matrix and water-soluble bioactive factors is described. The composition bioerodes in the biological environment of the subject at a controlled rate, thereby releasing the water soluble proteins at a rate which allows them to interact with local cell populations.|
|Inventor(s):||Laurencin; Cato T. (Somerville, MA), Lucas; Paul A. (Macon, GA), Syftestad; Glenn T. (Sacramento, CA), Domb; Abraham (Baltimore, MD), Glowacki; Julie (Jamaica Plan, MA), Langer; Robert S. (Newton, MA)|
|Assignee:||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Aug 07, 1996|
|Claims:||1. A method of inducing chondrogenesis and osteogenesis in an animal comprising implanting in the animal a delivery device comprising: |
a. a shaped matrix sized and adapted for administration of the bioactive substance to an animal and formed of a polymer selected from the group consisting of polyanhydride and polyorthoester; and
b. a therapeutically effective amount of a bioactive substance selected from the group consisting of water soluble chondrogenic or osteogenic proteins derived from demineralized bone matrix, TGF-beta, EGF, FGF and PDGF, wherein the bioactive substance is present in an amount of between about 10 and 90 percent by weight of matrix;
wherein the composition erodes at a controlled rate over a period of time, thereby administering the bioactive substance to the animal in an amount effective to induce formation of cartilage and bone or wound healing.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the polyanhydride is selected from the group consisting of:
poly[bis(p-carboxyphenoxy)propane anhydride], poly[bis(p-carboxy)methane anhydride] and poly[bis)p-carboxyphenoxy)propane anhydride]-sebacid acid copolymer.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the water soluble chondrogenic or osteogenic proteins derived from demineralized bone matrix is a mixture of cold water-soluble proteins.
4. The method of claim 3 wherein the cold water-soluble proteins are proteins derived from demineralized bone matrix.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the chondrogenic or osteogenic proteins is derived from demineralized bovine femur bone matrix.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the bioactive substance is selected from the group consisting of TGF-beta, EGF, FGF and PDGF.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition comprises a continuous matrix having a bioactive substance interspersed therethrough.
8. The method of claim 1 which is administered to release bioactive substance intramuscularly.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein
the shaped matrix sized and adapted for administration of the cartilage and bone inducing substance is formed from a polyanhydride polymer selected from the group consisting of poly(bis(p-carboxyphenoxy)propane anhydride), poly(bis(p-carboxyphenoxy)methane anhydride) and poly(bis(p-carboxyphenoxy)propane anhydride-sebacic acid); and
the cartilage and bone inducing amount of a protein preparation derived from demineralized bone matrix consists of a mixture of cold water-soluble proteins capable of inducing chondrogenesis and osteogenesis having a range of molecular weight of from about 10 to about 100 Kd.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.