Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method of making modified-release metronidazole compositions|
|Abstract:||Pharmaceutical compositions having a modified release profile for once daily dosing of metronidazole, methods for making the pharmaceutical compositions, and methods for treating a microbial infection with once daily dosing of the pharmaceutical compositions of the invention are provided. The compositions given once daily exhibit substantial bioequivalence to immediate release metronidazole given three times per day. The compositions of the invention comprise: (a) a first portion of metronidazole which is about 59 wt % to about 79 wt % metronidazole; (b) about 1.5 wt % to about 3.0 wt % of an aqueous insoluble poly(meth)acrylic acid ester copolymer which is aqueous permeable, aqueous expandable and pH-independent; (c) about 0.1 wt % to about 2.0 wt % detackifier; (d) 0 to about 23 wt % of a first aqueous soluble pharmaceutical diluent; (e) 0 to about 23 wt % of a second aqueous soluble diluent which is suitable for forming a pharmaceutical tablet when compressed with the granules of (a), the second aqueous soluble diluent being the same as or different from the first aqueous soluble diluent; (f) 0 to about 20 wt % of a second portion of metronidazole; (g) 0 to about 0.2 wt % glidant; and (h) 0 to about 2 wt % lubricant; wherein the composition comprises metronidazole containing granules comprising (a), (b), (c) and (d), wherein the sum of the weight percentages of metronidazole provided by (a) and (f) is between about 72 wt % and about 79 wt %, and wherein the sum of the weight percentages of the aqueous soluble diluent provided by (d) and (e) is between about 16 wt % and about 23 wt %.|
|Inventor(s):||Desai; Subhash (Grayslake, IL), Mancini; Alan M. (Indian Head Park, IL), Schumann; Steven C. (Elgin, IL)|
|Assignee:||G.D. Searle & Co. (Chicago, IL)|
|Filing Date:||May 19, 1995|
|Claims:||1. A method for making a modified release metronidazole composition, the method comprising the steps of: |
(a) contacting in a fluid bed granulator, under conditions suitable for producing granules, (1) a dry mixture comprising from about 59 to about 79 parts by weight of a first portion of metronidazole and optionally up to 23 parts by weight of a first aqueous soluble diluent with (2) an aqueous suspension comprising from about 1.5 to about 3.0 parts by weight of an aqueous insoluble, pH-independent, aqueous expandable polymethacrylic acid ester copolymer, and an effective amount of a detackifying agent;
(b) combining the granules produced in step (a) with an effective amount of a pharmaceutically acceptable glidant;
(c) if necessary, particle-sizing the mixture of (b) to provide a mixture with a substantially uniform particle size suitable for compressing into tablet form;
(d) optionally blending the mixture with up to about 20 parts by weight of a second portion of metronidazole;
(e) blending the mixture with up to 23 parts by weight of a second aqueous soluble diluent and an effective amount of a pharmaceutically acceptable lubricant; and
(f) compressing a predetermined amount of the blended mixture of step (e) to produce a tablet;
wherein the percentage of metronidazole provided by (a)(1) and (d) is from about 72% to about 79% by weight, based on the total weight of the tablet, and wherein the percentage of aqueous soluble diluent provided by (a)(1) and (e) is from about 16% and about 23% by weight, based on the total weight of the tablet.
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein the first aqueous soluble diluent is present in an amount of from about 5% and about 11% by weight and the second aqueous soluble diluent is present in an amount of from about 8% and about 18% by weight.
3. A method according to claim 2, wherein the first aqueous soluble diluent is present in an amount of from about 6% and about 9% by weight and the second aqueous soluble diluent is present in an amount of from about 12% and about 17% by weight.
4. A method according to claim 3, wherein the first aqueous soluble diluent and the second aqueous soluble diluent are lactose.
5. A method according to claim 1 wherein the detackifying agent is talc.
6. A method according to claim 1 wherein the glidant is silicon dioxide and is present in amount of about 0.1% by weight.
7. A method according to claim 1 wherein the lubricant is magnesium stearate and is present in amount of about 1% by weight.
8. A method according to claim 1 wherein the aqueous suspension of (a)(ii) further comprises an amount of an antifoam agent effective to reduce foaming during step (a).
9. A method according to claim 1 which further comprises (g) coating the tablet with an aqueous soluble polymeric coating.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.