Generated: May 22, 2017
|Title:||Methods and compositions for inhibition of angiogenesis|
|Abstract:||The present invention comprises a group of compounds that effectively inhibit angiogenesis. More specifically, thalidomide and various related compounds such as thalidomide precursors, analogs, metabolites and hydrolysis products have been shown to inhibit angiogenesis and to treat disease states resulting from angiogenesis. Importantly, these compounds can be administered orally.|
|Inventor(s):||D'Amato; Robert (Lancaster, PA)|
|Assignee:||The Children's Medical Center Corporation (Boston, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 13, 1995|
|Claims:||1. A method of treating chronic inflammation in a human or animal comprising the step of administering to the human or animal with the chronic inflammation a composition comprising an epoxide hydrolase inhibitor and an effective amount of an angiogenesis-inhibiting compound selected from the group consisting of the following compounds: ##STR20## In the above formulae A), B), and C), R.sub.1, R.sub.2, R.sub.3 and R.sub.4 can be selected from: --H; --OH; .dbd.O, straight chained and branched alkanes, alkenes, alkynes; cyclic alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes; combinations of cyclic and acyclic alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes; alcohol, aldehyde, ketone, carboxylic acid, ester, or ether moieties in combination with acyclic, cyclic, or combination acyclic/cyclic moieties; aza; amino; --XO.sub.n or --O--XO.sub.n, where X=N and n=2; X=S and n=2 or 3; or X=P and n=1-3; and halogens; R.sub.5, R.sub.6, R.sub.7, and R.sub.8 are each independently selected from: ##STR21## or --O-- where Y is optional and is the same as defined above for R.sub.1 ; and R.sub.10 is the same as defined above for R.sub.1, or where Y is absent R.sub.10 is .dbd.O; and R.sub.9 is a moiety having formula D), E), F), G) or H): ##STR22## where each of R.sub.11 -R.sub.17 is independently the same as defined above for R.sub.5 ; ##STR23## where R.sub.18, R.sub.19 and R.sub.20 are, independently selected from ##STR24## and n=1 to 4. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the compound has the following formula: ##STR25## and R.sub.5 and R.sub.6 are selected from the group consisting of ##STR26## and in which R.sub.9 has formula F) or H), and R.sub.14 and R.sub.16 are selected from the group consisting of, ##STR27## and R.sub.15 and is ##STR28## where R.sub.21 is --H, --CH.sub.3, or --OH.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the compound is thalidomide.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the compound is a thalidomide metabolite or hydrolysis product.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the compound is selected from the group consisting of the following compounds: ##STR29##
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the compound is selected from the group consisting of N-phthaloyl-DL-glutamic acid (PGA) and N-phthaloyl-DL-glutamine anhydride.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the compound is EM-12.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the compound is selected from the following compounds, where R equals H, OH, or CH.sub.3 ##STR30##
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the chronic inflammation is selected from the group consisting of Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, sarcoidosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
10. The method of claim 9, wherein the chronic inflammation is Crohn's disease.
11. The method of claim 9, wherein the chronic inflammation is ulcerative colitis.
12. The method of claim 9, wherein the chronic inflammation is psoriasis.
13. The method of claim 9, wherein the chronic inflammation is sarcoidosis.
14. The method of claim 9, wherein the chronic inflammation is rheumatoid arthritis.
15. The method of claim 9, further comprising a pharmaceutical carrier.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.