Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Use of borate-polyol complexes in ophthalmic compositions|
|Abstract:||Water-soluble borate-polyol complexes are useful as buffers and/or antimicrobials in aqueous ophthalmic compositions, including those containing polyvinyl alcohol. These compositions have greater antimicrobial activity than comparable compositions containing typical borate buffers and unexpectedly increase the antimicrobial efficacy of other antimicrobial agents when used in combination. In addition, use of the borate-polyol complexes avoids the incompatibility problem typically associated with the combination of borate buffer and polyvinyl alcohol; therefore, the compositions disclosed herein may also contain polyvinyl alcohol.|
|Inventor(s):||Chowhan; Masood (Arlington, TX)|
|Assignee:||Alcon Laboratories, Inc. (Fort Worth, TX)|
|Filing Date:||Feb 22, 1994|
|Claims:||1. A method of preparing an aqueous ophthalmic composition, comprising the steps of preparing a water-soluble borate-polyol complex by mixing borate and a polyol together in an aqueous solvent and adding polyvinyl alcohol thereto, wherein the borate-polyol complex is present at a concentration of 0.5 to 6.0 wt % and the molar ratio of borate to polyol is 1:0.1 to 1:10. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the water-soluble borate-polyol complex comprises borate and polyol in a molar ratio of 1:0.25 to 1:2.5.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the concentration of the water-soluble borate-polyol complex in the final composition is 0.5 to 3.0 wt %.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the concentration of the water-soluble borate-polyol complex in the final composition is 1.0 to 2.0 wt %.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the water-soluble borate-polyol complex comprises a polyol selected from the group consisting of sugars, sugar alcohols and sugar acids.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the polyol is selected from the group consisting of mannitol, glycerin, propylene glycol and sorbitol.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the polyol is selected from the group consisting of mannitol and glycerin.
8. The method of claim 7, wherein the polyol is mannitol.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.