|Title:||Arabinogalactan derivatives and uses thereof|
|Abstract:||A substantially purified arabinogalactan, its degradative products and selected modifications thereof have been found to act as carriers for delivering therapeutic agent to cell receptors capable of receptor mediated endocytosis (RME). The arabinogalactan and its degrative products once derivatived are capable of forming a complex between the therapeutic agent and the polysaccharide such that the complex retains the ability to recognize and bind to the RME receptor.|
|Inventor(s):||Jung; Chu (Arlington, MA), Enriquez; Philip (Sheldonville, MA), Palmacci; Stephen (Walpole, MA), Josephson; Lee (Arlington, MA), Lewis; Jerome M. (Newton, MA)|
|Assignee:||Advanced Magnetics, Inc. (Cambridge, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 17, 1992|
|Claims:||1. A carrier capable of being attached to a therapeutic agent for the delivery thereof to a cell receptor capable of performing receptor mediated endocytosis (RME), comprising: |
a composition selected from the group consisting of substantially purified arabinogalactan and degradation products thereof,
such composition modified at a site by a functional residue to produce a derivative in a manner that reserves the useful affinity of the derivative for the RME cell receptor, Wherein said functional residue is selected from the group consisting of phosphoryl, sulfhydryl, amino, halo, acylimidazole, carboxyl groups and a polymeric molecule, the derivative permitting further reactions of the derivative for attaching a therapeutic agent thereto.
2. A carrier according to claim 1, wherein the site of modification of the composition is a hydroxyl group on a constituent monosaccharide.
3. A carrier according to claim 1, wherein the composition is modified at a plurality of sites.
4. A carrier according to claim 3, wherein the member of functional residues is no less than one equivalent per mole of the composition and no more than the number of hydroxyl groups on the composition per mole of the composition.
5. A carrier according to claim 1, wherein the functional residue is a polymeric molecule selected from the group consisting of dextran, dextrin, albumin and poly-L-lysine.
6. A carrier according to claim 3, wherein the functional residue is a polymeric molecule selected from the group consisting of dextran, dextrin, albumin and poly-L-lysine.