Generated: May 29, 2017
|Title:||New finasteride processes|
|Abstract:||Disclosed is a new process for producing finasteride which involves reacting the magnesium halide salt of 17.beta.B-carboalkoxy-4-aza-5.alpha.-androst-1-en-3-one with t-butylamino magnesium halide, present in at least a 2:1 molar ratio to the ester, formed from t-butyl amine and an aliphatic/aryl magnesium halide at ambient temperature in an inert organic solvent under an inert atmosphere followed by heating and recovering said product finasteride. Also disclosed are two polymorphic crystalline Forms I and II of finasteride, and methods of their production.|
|Inventor(s):||Dolling; Ulf H. (Westfield, NJ), McCauley; James A. (Belle Mead, NJ), Varsolona; Richard J. (Scotch Plains, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 29, 1993|
|Claims:||1. A process for producing finasteride 2: ##STR3## where R is methyl or ethyl, comprising the steps of |
(1) contacting the magnesium halide salt of the 4-aza steroid ester 1 with t-butylamino magnesium halide, wherein the molar ratio of t-butylamino magnesium halide to said ester magnesium halide salt is at least about 2:1, in an inert organic solvent under an inert atmosphere at ambient temperature,
(2) heating the reaction mixture in the range from 25.degree. C. to 100.degree. C., and
(3) recovering said product finasteride 2.
2. The process of claim 1 further comprising the step of reacting t-butylamine and an aliphatic or aryl magnesium halide wherein:
aryl is phenyl, in the range of -20.degree. C. to 10.degree. C. in an inert organic solvent to form said t-butylamino magnesium halide prior to contacting said magnesium halide salt of the ester 1.
3. The process of claim 2 wherein said aliphatic or aryl magnesium halide is an aliphatic magnesium halide wherein the aliphatic moiety is selected from: a methyl, an ethyl, a propyl, an isopropyl, an n-butyl, a sec-butyl, a t-butyl, a hexyl, an octyl, a decyl, a dodecyl, a tetradecyl, an octadecyl, an allyl, a vinyl, an ethynyl, a benzyl or a cyclohexyl radical.
4. The process of claim 3 wherein said aliphatic/aryl magnesium halide is an alkyl magnesium bromide.
5. The process of claim 2 further comprising the step of reacting the ester 1 with an aliphatic or aryl magnesium halide wherein:
aryl is phenyl, in the range of -20.degree. C. to 30.degree. C. in an inert organic solvent to form the magnesium halide salt of the ester 1 prior to contacting said t-butylamino magnesium halide.
6. The process of claim 1 wherein said inert solvent is a C.sub.4 -C.sub.8 linear or cyclic ether.
7. The process of claim 6 wherein said inert organic solvent is diethylether, di-n-butylether, dimethoxyethane, tetrahydrofuran, dioxane.
8. The process of claim 1 wherein R is methyl.
9. The process of claim 1 wherein said molar ratio of t-butylamino magnesium halide to ester 1 is 3:1.
10. The process of claim 1 wherein said molar ratio of t-butylamino magnesium halide to ester 1 is 4-5:1.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.