Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Taste mask coatings for preparing chewable pharmaceutical tablets|
|Abstract:||Chewable medicament tablets are made from coated rotogranules of a medicament wherein the rotogranules are formed from a granulation mixture of: medicament, e.g. famotidine; binder, e.g. HPMC; and carrier, e.g. lactose; and the rotogranules are coated with cellulose acetate, cellulose acetate butyrate or a combination thereof and hydroxypropyl cellulose. A process for making such tablets and a method of providing taste masking of medicaments utilizing such coated rotogranules.|
|Inventor(s):||Roche; Edward J. (Paoli, PA), Papile; Susan M. (Blue Bell, PA), Freeman; Eleanor M. (Norristown, PA)|
|Assignee:||McNeil-PPC, Inc. (Milltown, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Jul 23, 1993|
|Claims:||1. A process of preparing a chewable medicament tablet comprising the steps of: |
rotogranulating a composition of in the range of from about 2 to about 85 percent of a medicament, in the range of from about 4 to about 10 percent of a binder and a in the range of from about 10 to about 94 percent of a fine particulate carrier having a particle size from about 5 to about 75 microns to provide granules;
coating the granules with a polymer blend composed of a polymer selected from the group consisting of cellulose acetate, cellulose acetate butyrate and a combination of both blended with hydroxypropyl cellulose to form coated granules; and
forming a chewable tablet by compressing the coated granules with tableting excipients.
2. The process of claim 1 wherein the polymer blend has a weight ratio in the range of about 95:5 to 50:50 of a polymer selected from the group consisting of cellulose acetate, cellulose acetate butyrate and a combination thereof to hydroxypropyl cellulose.
3. The process of claim 2 wherein the polymer blend comprises about an 70:30 blend of cellulose acetate:hydroxypropyl cellulose and comprises about from 5 to 20% by weight of the total weight of the coated rotogranulation composition.
4. A method for taste masking medicaments comprising rotogranulating a medicament with hydroxypropylmethyl-cellulose and a fine particulate lactose having a particle size from about 5 to about 75 microns to form granules and coating the granules with a taste masking effective amount of polymer blend composed of a polymer selected from the group consisting of cellulose acetate, cellulose acetate butyrate and a combination thereof blended with hydroxypropyl cellulose.
5. The method of claim 4 wherein the medicament is selected from the group consisting of famotidine, loperamide, cimetidine, ranitidine, salts thereof and combinations thereof.
6. The method of claim 4 wherein the medicament is famotidine.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.