Generated: May 26, 2017
|Title:||Antibacterial antiplaque dentifrice|
|Abstract:||A dentifrice which inhibits plaque formation and reduces gingivitis and caries comprising water-insoluble alkaline earth metal polishing agent such as dicalcium or dimagnesium phosphate or pyrophosphate, xylitol and a substantially water insoluble noncationic antibacterial agent, such as triclosan.|
|Inventor(s):||Prencipe; Michael (East Windsor, NJ), Volpe; Anthony R. (Somerset, NJ), Rustogi; Kedar N. (Kendall Park, NJ), Drago; Vincent O. (Highland Park, NJ), Gaffar; Abdul (Princeton, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Colgate Palmolive Company (New York, NY)|
|Filing Date:||Dec 01, 1993|
|Claims:||1. An antibacterial xylitol-enhanced fluoride dentifrice consisting essentially of in an orally acceptable aqueous humectant xylitol vehicle, about 20-75% by weight of a dentally acceptable water-insoluble calcium or magnesium alkaline earth metal polishing agent, non-toxic mount of a fluoride-providing compound in amount sufficient to release about 25 ppm to about 5,000 ppm of fluoride ion, an effective antiplaque amount of a substantially water-insoluble noncationic antibacterial antiplaque agent selected from the group consisting of halogenated diphenyl ethers, halogenated salicylanilides, benzoic esters, sesquiterpene alcohols, halogenated carbanilides and phenolic compounds and about 0.1 to about 40% by weight of xylitol, said dentifrice being free of pyrophosphate anticalculus agent in an effective anticalculus amount and of polycarboxylate or analogous antibacterial-enhancing agent in an amount which enhances the antiplaque effectiveness of said antibacterial antiplaque agent. |
2. The dentifrice claimed in claim 1 wherein said antibacterial agent is present in amount of about 0.01-5% by weight.
3. The dentifrice claimed in claim 2 wherein said antibacterial agent is triclosan.
4. The dentifrice claimed in claim 3 wherein said amount of said antibacterial agent is about 0.3-0.5% by weight.
5. The dentifrice claimed in claim 1 wherein xylitol is present in amount of about 0.1-5% by weight.
6. The dentifrice claimed in claim 1 wherein xylitol is present is amount of about 3-25% by weight.
7. The dentifrice claimed in claim 6 wherein xylitol is present in amount of about 5-20% by weight.
8. The dentifrice claimed in claim 1 wherein xylitol is present in amount of about 20-40% by weight.
9. The dentifrice claimed in claim 1 wherein said alkaline earth metal polishing agent is a calcium salt.
10. The dentifrice claimed in claim 9 wherein said polishing agent is dihydrated dicalcium phosphate.
11. The dentifrice claimed in claim 9 wherein said calcium salt is .beta.-calcium pyrophosphate.
12. The dentifrice in claim 9 wherein said calcium salt is calcium carbonate.
13. The dentifrice claimed in claim 1 wherein said dentifrice additionally comprises about 0.5-5% by weight of an organic surface-active agent.
14. The dentifrice claimed in claim 1 wherein said dentifrice additionally comprises about 0.1-5% by weight of a flavoring oil.
15. A method of inhbiting plaque formation comprising applying the dentifrice claimed in claim 1 to dental enamel.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.