Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
|Title:||Method of treatment of inflamed tissues|
|Abstract:||A method of and composition for concentrating a therapeutic agent in an inflamed dermal region are disclosed. The composition, which is also used in the method, is a liposomal composition. The liposomes contain the therapeutic agent in entrapped form and are composed of vesicle-forming lipids including a vesicle-forming lipid derivatized with hydrophilic biocompatible polymer. After intravenous administration, the liposomes are taken up by the inflamed region within 24-48 hours, for site-specific release of entrapped compound into the inflamed region.|
|Inventor(s):||Woodle; Martin C. (Menlo Park, CA), Martin; Francis J. (San Francisco, CA), Huang; Shi K. (Castro Valley, CA)|
|Assignee:||Liposome Technology, Inc. (Menlo Park, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 07, 1992|
|Claims:||1. A method of concentrating a therapeutic compound in an inflamed dermal region in a subject, comprising |
administering to the subject, by parenteral injection, a composition of liposomes (i) composed of vesicle-forming lipids including an amphipathic vesicle-forming lipid derivatized with a hydrophilic biocompatible polymer selected from the group consisting of a polyethylene glycol having a molecular weight between about 300 and 5,000 daltons, polyglycolic acid (PGA), polylactic acid (PLA), a copolymer of PGA and PLA, and polyvinyl alcohol (ii) having a selected mean particle diameter in the size range between about 0.07-0.20 microns, and (iii) containing in liposome-entrapped form, a therapeutic compound effective against the source of the inflammation, and
by said injecting, concentrating the liposomes in the inflamed region, thereby to concentrate liposome-entrapped compound at the site of inflammation.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the liposome-entrapped compound is a steroidal anti-inflammatory compound.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein the anti-inflammatory compound is selected from the group consisting of prednisone, methylprednisolone, paramethazone, 11-fludrocortisol, triamcinolone, betamethasone and dexamethasone.
4. The method of claim 2, wherein the antiinflammatory compound is beclomethasone.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the dermal inflammation is a psoriatic dermal inflammation, and the liposome-entrapped compound is selected from the group consisting of steroidal antiinflammatory agents, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agents, immunosuppressant agents, methotrexate, azaribine, etretinate, anthralin, and psoralins.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the immunosuppressant agent is cyclosporine.