Generated: May 25, 2017
|Title:||Method of treatment of inflamed tissues|
|Abstract:||A method of and composition for concentrating a therapeutic agent in an inflamed dermal region are disclosed. The composition, which is also used in the method, is a liposomal composition. The liposomes contain the therapeutic agent in entrapped form and are composed of vesicle-forming lipids including a vesicle-forming lipid derivatized with hydrophilic biocompatible polymer. After intravenous administration, the liposomes are taken up by the inflamed region within 24-48 hours, for site-specific release of entrapped compound into the inflamed region.|
|Inventor(s):||Woodle; Martin C. (Menlo Park, CA), Martin; Francis J. (San Francisco, CA), Huang; Shi K. (Castro Valley, CA)|
|Assignee:||Liposome Technology, Inc. (Menlo Park, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 07, 1992|
|Claims:||1. A method of concentrating a therapeutic compound in an inflamed dermal region in a subject, comprising |
administering to the subject, by parenteral injection, a composition of liposomes (i) composed of vesicle-forming lipids including an amphipathic vesicle-forming lipid derivatized with a hydrophilic biocompatible polymer selected from the group consisting of a polyethylene glycol having a molecular weight between about 300 and 5,000 daltons, polyglycolic acid (PGA), polylactic acid (PLA), a copolymer of PGA and PLA, and polyvinyl alcohol (ii) having a selected mean particle diameter in the size range between about 0.07-0.20 microns, and (iii) containing in liposome-entrapped form, a therapeutic compound effective against the source of the inflammation, and
by said injecting, concentrating the liposomes in the inflamed region, thereby to concentrate liposome-entrapped compound at the site of inflammation.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the liposome-entrapped compound is a steroidal anti-inflammatory compound.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein the anti-inflammatory compound is selected from the group consisting of prednisone, methylprednisolone, paramethazone, 11-fludrocortisol, triamcinolone, betamethasone and dexamethasone.
4. The method of claim 2, wherein the antiinflammatory compound is beclomethasone.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the dermal inflammation is a psoriatic dermal inflammation, and the liposome-entrapped compound is selected from the group consisting of steroidal antiinflammatory agents, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agents, immunosuppressant agents, methotrexate, azaribine, etretinate, anthralin, and psoralins.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the immunosuppressant agent is cyclosporine.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.