Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method of preventing NMDA receptor-mediated neuronal damage|
|Abstract:||Disclosed is a method for reducing non-ischemic NMDA receptor-mediated neuronal damage in a mammal by administering to the mammal a compound of the formula shown in FIG. 1 (or a physiologically-acceptable salt thereof), wherein R.sub.1 includes an amino group, R.sub.2 -R.sub.17 are independently H or a short chain aliphatic group comprising 1-5 carbons, and R.sub.4 and R.sub.10 also may (independently) be a halogen or an acyl group. Also disclosed is a screen for antagonists of NMDA receptor mediated neurotoxicity which have an enhanced prospect for being clinically tolerated and selective against such neurotoxicity.|
|Inventor(s):||Lipton; Stuart A. (Newton, MA)|
|Assignee:||The Children's Medical Center Corporation (Boston, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 03, 1992|
|Claims:||1. A method of treating a patient to reduce painful peripheral neuropathy comprising administering to said patient a compound of the formula below, wherein R.sub.1 comprises an amino group; R.sub.2 -R.sub.17 are independently H or a short chain aliphatic group comprising 1-5 carbons; and R.sub.4 and R.sub.10 may also be a halogen or an acyl group, or a physiologically acceptable salt thereof, in a concentration effective to cause such reduction. ##STR2## |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein R.sub.1 is NH.sub.2.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein said compound is amantadine.
4. The method of claims 1 or 2, wherein R.sub.4 is a methyl group.
5. The method of claims 1 or 2, wherein R.sub.10 is a methyl group.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said R.sub.4 and R.sub.10 are methyl groups.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein said R.sub.1 is NH.sub.2.
8. The method of claim 7, wherein said compound is memantine.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein R.sub.1 is ##STR3## wherein X.sub.1 and X.sub.2 are independently H or a short chain aliphatic group comprising between 1-5 carbons.
10. The method of claim 9, wherein X.sub.1 and X.sub.2 are H and CH.sub.3, respectively, or wherein X.sub.1 and X.sub.2 are CH.sub.3 and H, respectively.
11. The method of claim 10, wherein said compound is rimantadine.
12. The method of claim 9, wherein R.sub.4 is a methyl group.
13. The method of claim 9, wherein R.sub.10 is a methyl group.
14. The method of claim 9, wherein R.sub.4 and R.sub.10 are methyl groups.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.