Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method for the treatment of withdrawal symptoms associated with smoking cessation and preparations for use in said method|
|Abstract:||A preparation for the once-daily, percutaneous administration of nicotine comprises nicotine uniformly distributed in a solid, semi-solid or mucilaginous medium which can be placed in intimate contact with the skin, the solid, semi-solid or mucilaginous medium is formed by adding a given amount of nicotine to a solution of a solidifying or gel-forming agent or mixture thereof in a suitable solvent or mixture of solvents and mixing or heating the mixture thereby obtained so as to form the solid, semi-solid or mucilaginous medium. The preparation can be used in a method of treating withdrawal symptoms associated with smoking cessation and for combating the psychological dependence that occurs through frequent smoking.|
|Inventor(s):||Bannon; Yvonne B. (Naas, IE), Corish; John (Leopardstown, IE), Corrigan; Owen I. (Howth, IE), Geoghegan; Edward J. (Athlone, IE), Masterson; Joseph G. (Clonsilla, IE)|
|Assignee:||Elan Transdermal Limited (Athlone, IE)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 19, 1992|
|Claims:||1. A once-daily transdermal preparation for the controlled release of nicotine comprising an amount of nicotine distributed in a solid, semi-solid or mucilaginous medium and being effective to treat symptoms associated with tobacco smoking cessation and an amount of an anti-irritant effective to alleviate irritation associated with the transdermal delivery of nicotine. |
2. The transdermal preparation of claim 1 wherein the anti-irritant is selected from the group consisting of lidocaine, benzocaine, lignocaine, methocaine, butylaminobenzoate and procaine or a mixture thereof.
3. A method for treating the symptoms associated with tobacco smoking cessation comprising applying the transdermal preparation of claim 1 to the skin of a person in need of such treatment.
4. The method of claim 3 wherein the transdermal preparation is effective to permit controlled release of said nicotine to the skin at a rate of on the average at least 0.5 mg/hour for at least 14 hours.
5. The method of claim 3 wherein the amount of nicotine administered is sufficient to achieve in said person a plasma level of nicotine over a 24 hour period in the range of at least 5 ng/ml for at least 14 hours.
6. The method of claim 5 wherein the plasma level of nicotine over a 24 hour period is in the range of 5-30 ng/ml for at least 14 hours.
7. The method of claim 6 wherein the amount of nicotine administered is sufficient to achieve a plasma level of nicotine in the range of 2-15 ng/ml for the remaining 10 hours or less.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein the amount of nicotine administered is sufficient to achieve a plasma level of nicotine in the range of 2-15 ng/ml within one hour after administration.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.