Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Rotogranulations and taste masking coatings for preparation of chewable pharmaceutical tablets|
|Abstract:||Chewable medicament tablets are made from coated rotogranules of a medicament wherein the rotogranules are formed from a granulation mixture of medicament, e.g. famotidine binder, e.g. polyvinylpyrrolidone, and carrier, e.g. lactose and the rotogranules are coated with cellulose acetate, cellulose acetate butyrate or a combination thereof and polyvinyl pyrrolidone and a process for making such tablets and a method of providing taste masking of medicaments utilizing such coated rotogranules.|
|Inventor(s):||Roche; Edward J. (Paoli, PA), Papile; Susan M. (Blue Bell, PA), Freeman; Eleanor M. (Norristown, PA)|
|Assignee:||McNeil-PPC, Inc. (Milltown, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 23, 1992|
|Claims:||1. A chewable tablet of a medicament comprising compressed coated rotogranules, said coated granules individually are composed of substantially spherical granules formed by the rotogranulation of a medicament with a binder and a fine particulate carrier material with a particle size of from 5 to 75 microns wherein the rotogranules comprise from about 2 to 85% medicament, about 4 to 10% binder and about 10-94% carrier by weight of the total weight of the uncoated granule and the granules are coated with a polymer blend of cellulose acetate, cellulose acetate butyrate or a combination of both with polyvinylpyrrolidone wherein the polymer blend coating comprises about 5 to 20% by weight of the total weight of the coated granules. |
2. The chewable tablet of claim 1 wherein the medicament is selected from the group consisting of famotidine, loperamide, cimetidine, ranitidine, salts thereof and combinations thereof.
3. The chewable tablet of claim 1 wherein the coating mixture has a weight ratio in the range of from 95:5 to 60:40 of cellulose acetate, cellulose acetate butyrate or a combination thereof to polyvinylpyrrolidone.
4. The chewable tablet of claim 1 wherein the binder is selected from the group consisting of polyvinylpyrrolidone, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, and starch and the carrier is selected from the group consisting of lactose, fructose, mannitol, sucrose, dextrose, confectioner's sugar, maltodextrins and mixtures thereof.
5. The chewable tablet of claim 1 wherein the carrier additionally comprises microcrystalline cellulose.
6. The chewable tablet of claim 1 wherein the coating comprises an 80:20 polymer blend of cellulose acetate:polyvinylpyrrolidone.
7. The chewable tablet of claim 4 wherein the tablet additionally comprises pharmaceutical excipients.
8. A rotogranulation composition composed of substantially spherical rotogranules formed by the rotogranulation of a medicament with a particle size from 5 to 75 microns, polyvinylpyrrolidone and a fine particulate lactose with a particle size from 5 to 75 microns.
9. The rotogranulation composition of claim 8 wherein the medicament is from about 2 to about 85%, the polyvinylpyrrolidone is from about 4 to about 10% and the lactose is from about 10 to about 94% by weight of the total weight of the rotogranulation composition.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.