Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Manage your formulary budget
|Title:||Antibacterial antiplaque mouthwash composition|
|Abstract:||An oral composition mouthwash or liquid dentifrice containing an aqueous vehicle acceptable vehicle including an alcohol, a substantially water-insoluble noncationic antibacterial antiplaque agent, such as 2,4,4'-trichloro-21'-hydroxy-diphenyl ether (triclosan) wherein the antiplague agent is entirely dissolved in the solvent and the weight ratio of water to alcohol is in excess of about 10:1.|
|Inventor(s):||Duckenfield; Joan (North Brunswick, NJ), VanMeter; Lori (Bridgewater, NJ), Campbell; Shannon (Monmouth Junction, NJ), Nabi; Nuran (N. Brunswick, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Colgate-Palmolive Company (Piscataway, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 16, 1992|
|Claims:||1. A mouthwash composition having a vehicle comprising water and an aqueous nontoxic alkyl mono-or di-hydric alcohol and dissolved therein an effective antiplaque amount up of about 0.01 to about 0.09% of a substantially water insoluble noncationic antibacterial agent, said alcohol being a solvent for said antibacterial agent, wherein the weight amount ratio of water to alcohol is at least 10:1 and the amount of solvent is sufficient to completely dissolve the amount of said antibacterial agent in said mouthwash composition. |
2. The mouthwash claimed in claim 1 wherein said antiplaque amount is about 0.03-0.06% by weight.
3. The mouthwash claimed in claim 2 wherein said weight ratio of water to alcohol is from about 10:1 to about 20:1.
4. The mouthwash claimed in claim 3 wherein said weight ratio is from about 12:1 to about 16:1.
5. The mouthwash claimed in claim 1 wherein said alcohol is ethanol.
6. The mouthwash claimed in any one of claims 1 or 2 to 5 wherein said antibacterial agent is triclosan.
7. The mouthwash claimed in any one of claims 1 or 2 to 5 wherein said antibacterial agent is nerolidol.
8. The mouthwash claimed in any one of claims 1 or 2 to 5 wherein an antibacterial enhancing agent containing a delivery group and an organic retention enhancing group is present in amount of about 0.05-7% by weight.
9. The mouthwash claimed in claim 8 where said antibacterial enhancing group is a polycarboxylate.
10. The mouthwash claimed in claim 3 wherein said antibacterial agent is triclosan present in amount of about 0.03% by weight.