Generated: May 27, 2017
|Title:||Article comprising a dispensing container that includes solid polymeric material in contact with an antiplaque oral composition with which it is compatible|
|Abstract:||An oral composition, such as a paste or gel dentifrice or a liquid mouthwash, containing a substantially water insoluble non-cationic antibacterial agent, such as triclosan, which, when used to clean the teeth or rinse the mouth, acts to decrease plaque on the teeth, is packaged in a dispensing container which includes a solid polymeric material, such as polyfluoroethylene, which is compatible with the antibacterial agent so that excessive loss of anti-plaque activity of such agent on storage is avoided. Alternatively, various other polymers may be employed as container parts, which normally would cause excessive losses of anti-plaque action of the antibacterial agent in the composition, but such action is countered by the presence of a stabilizer, such as a terpene, e.g., limonene, in the oral composition formula. The oral composition preferably contains a tooth hardening proportion of a source of fluoride ions, an anti-tartar proportion of a polyphosphate, a stabilizing proportion (in conjunction with the fluoride source) for the polyphosphate, of a polyvinyl methyl ether-maleic anhydride copolymer, and normal adjuvants for the oral preparation. A method for inhibiting development of plaque on teeth is also within the invention, as is a cleaning article containing an effective amount of the invented dentifrice.|
|Inventor(s):||Gaffar; Abdul (Princeton, NJ), Robinson; Richard S. (Piscataway, NJ), Miller; Jeffrey (Sayreville, NJ), Potini; Chimpiramma (East Brunswick, NJ), Collins; Michael A. (Keyport, NJ), Shackil; Theresa G. (Vincentown, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Colgate-Palmolive Company (Piscataway, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Apr 06, 1990|
|Claims:||1. An article comprising a dispensing container having solid polyethylene or polyethylene terephthalate polymeric material in contact with an oral composition in the container, which composition comprises an effective antibacterial antiplaque proportion of a substantially water insoluble non-cationic halogenated diphenylether antibacterial antiplaque agent, at least about 25% of which has been found to be lost after six weeks storage at room temperature in said container, and a stabilizer to make said polymeric material compatible with said agent in the presence of the oral composition, whereby said loss is prevented and the dispensed composition contains more than about 75% of its initial content of said agent. |
2. An article according to claim 1 comprising an opaque dispensing container.
3. An article according to claim 1 which is a packaged toothpaste, gel or liquid dentifrice, a liquid mouthwash, or a paste, gel or liquid tooth treating agent and the container of which composition is a deformable dispensing tube, a pump dispenser, a pressurized dispenser, or a sachet for toothpaste, gel dentifrice, or paste or gel tooth treating agent, or a bottle or other container for a liquid dentifrice, mouthwash or tooth treating agent.
4. A toothbrush containing on bristles thereof a toothbrushing quantity in the range of 0.8 to 2 grams, of a toothpaste or gel dentifrice of the composition described in claim 1, that had been dispensed from the container, which quantity of toothpaste or gel dentifrice contains an effective anti-plaque amount of THDE.
5. A packaged oral composition according to claim 1 in which the composition is a toothpaste, gel dentifrice or liquid mouthwash, and wherein the halogenated diphenyl ether antibacterial agent comprises a diphenyl ether substituted with 1 to 3 hydroxyls and 1-4 halogens selected from the group consisting of chlorine and bromine, and the container is a deformable dispensing tube, a pump dispenser or a sachet for the toothpaste or gel dentifrice, or is a bottle or other dispensing container for the liquid mouthwash.
6. An article according to claim 1 wherein such composition comprises 0.1 to 7% of a linear molecularly dehydrated polyphosphate.
7. An article according to claim 1 wherein the halogenated diphenyl ether antibacterial agent of such composition comprises 2',4,4'-trichloro-2-hydroxy-diphenyl ether (THDE) or 2,2'-dihydroxy-5,5'-dibromo-diphenyl ether (DDDE).
8. An article according to claim 7 wherein the halogenated diphenyl ether antibacterial agent of the composition comprises THDE.
9. An article according to claim 7 in which the composition comprises 0.02 to 1% of THDE and/or DDDE.
10. An article according to claim 8 in which the composition comprises 0.03 to 0.6% of THDE.
11. An article according to claim 6 in which the polyphosphate comprises a pyrophosphate.
12. An article according to claim 1 in which the oral composition comprises 0.1 to 3% of linear molecularly dehydrated polyphosphate, 0.05 to 2% of a source of fluorine ions and 0.2 to 5% of synthetic anionic polymeric polycarboxylate.
13. A packaged oral composition according to claim 1 comprising a toothpaste or gel dentifrice composition containing 0.25 to 0.5% of THDE in a deformable dispensing tube, a pump dispenser or a sachet, and the solid polymeric material in contact with the oral composition in the container comprises polyethylene.
14. A packaged oral composition according to claim 1 in which the composition comprises 1 to 25% of alkali metal pyrophosphate.
15. An article according to claim 1 in which the composition is a toothpaste or gel dentifrice containing about 0.02-1% of THDE and 0.1%-3% of sodium pyrophosphate, and the container is a deformable dispensing tube or a pump dispernser.
16. An article according to claim 1, the composition of which comprises a tooth hardening proportion of fluoride ions and an anti-tartar proportion of a linear molecularly dehydrated polyphosphate or a mixture of such polyphosphates.
17. An article according to claim 1 wherein the solid polymeric material in contact with the oral composition comprises polyethylene terephthalate material.
18. An article according to claim 1 wherein the composition contains a stabilizing proportion of a terpene or flavoring agent as the stabilizer which stabilizes the antibacterial agent of the compositi presence of said solid polymeric material.
19. An article according to claim 16 in which the oral composition comprises 1 to 2.5% of sodium pyrophosphate, 0.05 to 1% of sodium fluoride and 2 to 3% of polyvinyl methyl ether/maleic anhydride copolymer.
20. An article according to claim 18 in which the composition contains about 0.0114 2% of said terpene or flavoring agent.
21. An article according to claim 18 wherein the said polymeric material comprises polyethylene.
22. An article according to claim 21 wherein the composition comprises 0.1 to 7% of a linear molecularly dehydrated polyphosphate.
23. An article according to claim 1 the composition of which comprises 0.5 to 4% of synthetic anionic polymeric polycarboxylate.
24. An article according to claim 20 wherein the terpene content of the stabilizer is a component of a flavoring agent.
25. An articl according to claim 20 wherein the terpene content of the stablizer is in the range of 0.1 to 0.5%.
26. An article according to claim 18 in the composition of which the terpene is limonene.
27. A packaged oral composition according to claim 6 in which the composition comprises 0.02 to 1% of THDE.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.