Generated: April 26, 2017
|Title:||17 .beta.-acyl-4-aza-5 .alpha.-androst-1-ene-3-ones as 5 .alpha.-reductase inhibitors|
|Abstract:||17.beta.-Acyl-4-aza-5.alpha.-Androst-1-end-3-ones of the formula: ##STR1## wherein R is selected from hydrogen, methyl and ethyl and R.sup.3 is cycloalkyl of from 4-8 carbons; and pharmaceutical formulation of the above compounds are active as testosterone 5.alpha.-reductase inhibitors and thus are useful for treatment of acne, seborrhea, female hirsutism, androgenic alopecia, prostatic carcinoma and benign prostatic hypertrophy.|
|Inventor(s):||Rasmusson; Gary H. (Watchung, NJ), Reynolds; Glenn F. (Westfield, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Apr 09, 1991|
|Claims:||1. A compound of the formula: ##STR8## wherein R is hydrogen, methyl or ethyl; and |
R.sup.3 is cycloalkyl of from 4-8 carbons.
2. A compound of claim 1 which is
3. A compound of claim 2 wherein the 4-hydrogen substituent is replaced by a 4-methyl substituent.
4. A compound of claim 2 which is 17.beta.-(cyclohexylcarbonyl)-4-aza-5.alpha.-androst-1-ene-3-one.
5. A method of treating the hyperandrogenic condition of acne vulgaris, seborrhea, female hirsutism, and benign prostatic hypertrophy comprising administration to a patient in need of such treatment of a therapeutically effective amount of a compound of claim 1.
6. A method of inhibiting testosterone 5.alpha.-reductase in a patient in need of such inhibiting treatment, comprising administration to such a patient of a therapeutically effective amount of a compound of claim 1.
7. A pharmaceutical composition for inhibiting testosterone 5-alpha reductase which comprises a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier and an effective amount of a compound of claim 1.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.