Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method for treating and preventing loss of bone mass|
|Abstract:||A method for reversing loss of bone mass or bone mineral content in a human being suffering from osteoporosis disclosed which comprises administering to the human being a daily dosage of at least 2.0 micrograms/day of 1-alpha-hydroxy-Vitamin D.sub.2.|
|Inventor(s):||DeLuca; Hector F. (Deerfield, WI), Biship; Charles W. (Verona, WI), Mazess; Richard B. (Madison, WI), Gallagher; John C. (Omaha, NE)|
|Assignee:||Bone Care International, Inc. (Madison, WI)|
|Filing Date:||Aug 17, 1990|
|Claims:||1. A method for reversing loss of bone mass or bone mineral content in a human being displaying or predisposed to developing osteoporosis, comprising the step of: administering to said human being an amount of 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol sufficient to reverse loss of bone mass or bone mineral content without causing hypercalciuria or hypercalcemia, said amount being at least 2.0 .mu.g/day. |
2. The method according to claim 1 wherein said human being is greater than 45 years of age.
3. The method according to claim 1 wherein said human being is a woman who is hypoestrogenic.
4. The method according to claim 1 wherein the compound is administered to women during or subsequent to menopause.
5. The method according to claim 1 wherein said osteoporosis is post-menopausal osteoporosis.
6. The method according to claim 1 wherein said osteoporosis is senile osteoporosis.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound is administered to women prior to the onset of menopause.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol is administered in an amount greater than 2.0 .mu.g/day.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol is administered in an amount greater than 2.5 .mu.g/day.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol is administered in an amount greater than 3.0 .mu.g/day.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein the 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol, in solution, in a liquid vehicle ingestible by and non-toxic to said human beings is administered orally in encapsulated form.
12. The method of claim 1, wherein said administration of said 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol is parenteral.
13. The method of claim 12, wherein said administration is by subcutaneous, intramuscular, or intraveneous injection, nasopharyngeal or mucosal absorption, or trans-dermal absorption.
14. The method of claim 1 wherein said administration of said 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferal is nonparenteral.
15. A method for increasing bone mass by stimulating bone formation in a human being displaying post-menopausal or senile osteoporosis, said method comprising the steps of:
a. maintaining a calcium intake in said human being of between 400 to 800 mg/day;
b. administering daily to said human being an amount of 1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol sufficient to stimulate bone formation without causing hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia, said amount being not less than 2.0 .mu.g/day.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.