Generated: April 27, 2017
|Abstract:||The invention relates to an implant of polymeric material which can release a contraceptive agent for a relatively long time when fitted subcutaneously or locally.|
|Inventor(s):||De Nijs; Hendrik (Oss, NL)|
|Assignee:||Akzo N.V. (Arnhem, NL)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 21, 1990|
|Claims:||1. A method for preparing an implant comprising: |
mixing a core material of ethylene/vinyl acetate copolymer having such a molecular weight that the melt index is greater than 10 grams/10 minutes, and having a vinyl acetate content of at least 20% by weight with a highly active progestogen; and co-axially extruding said mixture with an ethylene/vinyl acetate copolymer having such a molecular weight that the melt index is less than 10 gram/10 minutes and the vinyl acetate content is less than 20% by weight, thereby forming an implant intended for subcutaneous local administration having a core encased with a member having a layer thickness of 50-250 micrometers thus producing a contact layer at the interface of said core and member.
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the core material comprises an ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer with a melt index between 25 and 30 grams/10 minutes and a vinyl acetate content of greater than 25% by weight.
3. The method according to claim 1, wherein the membrane comprises ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer with a melt index of 8 grams/10 minutes or less, and a vinyl acetate content of less than 20% by weight.
4. The method according to claim 3 further comprising covering the ends of the implant with an inert polymer.
5. The method of claim 4 further comprising coating the entire implant with polysiloxane.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the highly active progestogen contraceptive substance is selected from the group consisting of 3-keto-desogestrel, levonorgestrel and gestodene.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.