|Title:||Treatment of AIDS dementia, myelopathy and blindness|
|Abstract:||A method of reducing death of CNS neurons in a human patient infected with a human immunodeficiency virus, involving administering to the patient a compound capable of reducing the gp120-responsive rise in free Ca.sup.++ ion concentration in the CNS neurons of the patient, in a concentration effective to cause such reduction.|
|Inventor(s):||Lipton; Stuart A. (Newton, MA)|
|Assignee:||The Children's Medical Center Corporation (Boston, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 30, 1990|
|Claims:||1. A method of reducing death of CNS neurons in a human patient infected with a human immunodeficiency virus, comprising administering to said patient a compound capable of reducing the gp120 responsive rise in free Ca.sup.++ ion concentration in said CNS neurons of said patient, in a concentration effective to cause such reduction. |
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the blood of said human patient contains antibodies to HIV 1.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein said human patient manifests symptoms of the AIDS related complex or acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
4. The method of claim 1, said compound being capable of crossing the blood brain barrier.
5. The method of claim 1, said compound being nimodipine or Smith Kline drug no. 9512.
6. The method of claim 1, said nimodipine being administered to said patient orally or intravenously.
7. The method of claim 1, said compound being administered to said patient intrathecally or intravitreally.
8. The method of claim 1, said compound being one or more of nifedipine, verapamil, nitrendipine, or diltiazem.
9. The method of claim 5, in which said compound is nimodipine.
10. The method of claim 1, said compound being nicardipine, flunarizine, or diproteverine.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.