Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Pulsed drug delivery|
|Abstract:||A dosage form comprising (1) an immediately available dose of a beneficial drug followed by a timed delayed dose of drug, or (2) a timed delayed dose of drug.|
|Inventor(s):||Ayer; Atul D. (Mountain View, CA), Theeuwes; Felix (Los Altos, CA), Wong; Patrick S. L. (Hayward, CA)|
|Assignee:||Alza Corporation (Palo Alto, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Feb 21, 1989|
|Claims:||1. A dosage form for delivering a beneficial drug formulation to an environment of use, wherein the dosage form comprises: |
(a) a wall comprising in at least a part a composition permeable to the passage of fluid and substantially impermeable to the passage of drug, which wall surrounds:
(1) a first layer comprising a dosage amount of a beneficial drug;
(2) a second layer comprising a hydrogel that expands in the present of fluid;
(3) mean s coated around the first and second layer for delaying the release of the drug from the dosage form;
(b) at least one passageway in the wall for releasing the beneficial drug from the dosage form; and,
(c) a dosage amount of a beneficial drug in contact with the exterior surface of the wall of the dosage form, with the proviso that said drug is a different drug than the drug in the first layer.
2. A dosage form useful as a nightime sleep-aid for delivering a first dose and a second dose of diphenphydramine to a recipient, wherein the dosage form comprises:
(a) a wall comprising in at least a part a semipermeable composition permeable to the passage of an external fluid and substantially impermeable to the passage of a drug formulation, said wall surrounding;
(1) a first layer comprising a second dose of diphenhydramine;
(2) a second layer comprising a hydrophilic hydrogel formulation that expands in the presence of fluid;
(3) means coated around the first and the second layer for delaying the release of diphenhydramine from the dosage form;
(b) at least one exit means in the wall for releasing diphenhydramine from the dosage form; and,
(c) a dosage amount of a first dose of diphenhydramine on the exterior wall surface of the dosage form.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.