Generated: April 25, 2017
|Title:||Apparatus for treatment of tumors|
|Abstract:||To provide to and receive radiation from a photodynamic drug in neoplastic tissue, a laser system transmits radiation through an interface into a radiation delivery system, which is in juxtaposition with neoplastic tissue containing a photodynamic drug. The laser system may be a single argon laser pumping a dye laser, two parallel sets of argon lasers pumping a dye laser, a krypton laser or a xenon laser. In addition to transmitting radiation from the laser to the delivery system, the interface system may: (1) direct a portion of the light back to the laser's power supply to control the intensity of the radiation emitted from the laser; and/or (2) receive light from the light conductors of the delivery system. The interface channels light to radiation sensing devices which are either from a beam splitter indicating the magnitude of the radiation delivered from the laser system to the radiation delivery system or radiation leaking through the light conductor. Luminescent light from the photodynamic drug is selected and provides an indication of drug density and in some embodiments depth of the activity.|
|Inventor(s):||Dougherty; Thomas J. (Grand Island, NY), Potter; William R. (Grand Island, NY), Weishaupt; Kenneth R. (Sloan, NY)|
|Assignee:||Health Research, Inc. (Buffalo, NY)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 08, 1988|
|Claims:||1. Apparatus for transmitting radiation comprising: |
a transmitting light conductor;
means for permitting radiation from a laser to enter said transmitting light conductor;
a transmitting head having internal walls defining a hollow interior sealed against fluid and coupled to said transmitting conductor;
a tubular stem surrounding at least a portion of said transmitting light conductor and being connected to said transmitting head at an angle thereto so as to permit easy insertion near an eye for the application of radiation thereto;
a first portion of said walls of said transmitting head being cup-shaped and a second portion of said walls, closing said cup;
the interior of said first portion of said walls being reflective toward said second portion of said walls;
said transmitting light conductor entering said first portion of said walls;
at least one part of said second portion of said walls being light diffusing, whereby light reflected from said first portion of said walls through said one part is diffused and transmitted from said interior;
wherein the diameter of said transmitting head is less than one-half inch.
2. Apparatus according to claim 1 in which said light conductor is enclosed within a tubular L-shaped sheath.
3. Apparatus in accordance with claim 2 in which said sheath is smaller in diameter than 1/8 inch.
4. Apparatus in accordance with claim 3 in which said transmitting head includes within it a quartz cylindrical lens mounted to receive light from an end of said light conductor and transmit said light in a path parallel to said second portion of said interior walls, whereby multiple path reflections of light are obtained within said transmitting head to cover the area passing through said diffusing part.
5. Apparatus according to claim 1 in which:
said tubular stem has a first and a second end;
said transmitting head being mounted to a first of said first and second ends; and
socket means for receiving radiation emitted by said laser being mounted to the second end.
6. Apparatus according to claim 5 in which said second portion of said walls is closer to said socket means than the first portion of said walls, whereby radiation is directed toward an eye of a patient and away from an optic nerve of the patient.
7. Apparatus according to claim 5 in which said second portion of said walls is further from said socket means than the first portion of said walls, whereby radiation may be directed toward an optic nerve of a patient and away from an eye of the patient.
8. Apparatus according to claim 5 further including lens means within the first portion of said walls for transmitting light from the light conductor in paths parallel to said second portion of said walls.
9. Apparatus according to claim 1 further including lens means within the first portion of said walls for transmitting light from the light conductor in paths parallel to said second portion of said walls.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.