Generated: May 25, 2017
|Title:||Bioerodible articles useful as implants and prostheses having predictable degradation rates|
|Abstract:||A novel series of articles useful as implants and prostheses and methods for their preparation and use are provided which utilize polyanhydride polymeric matrices as a general class of materials. These articles are biocompatible, non-inflammatory and degrade predictably into non-toxic residues after introduction in-vivo. The articles may be formed in any desired dimensions and configuration and may take specific shape as vascular or skin grafts, as biodegradable sutures or as orthopedic appliances such as bone plates and the like.|
|Inventor(s):||D'Amore; Patricia (Brookline, MA), Leong; Kam W. (Cambridge, MA), Langer; Robert S. (Somerville, MA)|
|Assignee:||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Feb 15, 1985|
|Claims:||1. An article useful for implantation or otherwise placed in or on the body, comprising a biocompatible, bioerodible, hydrophobic polyanhydride composition of the formula ##STR8## wherein R is an organic group and n is at least 2, said polyanhydride being purified and characterized by biocompatibility that results in minimal tissue irritation when implanted in vasculated tissue and degrading at predictable, constant rates by hydrolysis into non-toxic residues after introduction in vivo. |
2. The article as recited in claim 1 wherein said R group is a hydrocarbon comprising from 2-16 carbon atoms.
3. The article as recited in claim 1 wherein said R group is ##STR9##
4. The article as recited in claim 1 where in the R group is ##STR10## wherein x is not less than 2 and not more than 16.
5. The article as recited in claim 1 wherein said R group is ##STR11## wherein x is at least 1.
6. The article as recited in claim 1 wherein said R group is ##STR12## wherein x is at least 1 and y is at least 1.
7. The article as recited in claim 1 wherein said R group is selected from the group consisting of ##STR13## wherein R' and R" are organic groups.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.