Generated: May 30, 2017
|Title:||Method of treating depression|
|Abstract:||The monamine oxidase inhibitor drug L-deprenyl (phenylisopropyl methyl propynyl amine) is safely and conveniently used for the treatment of mental depression in a formulation applied to the skin of the patient. In this way the danger of side reaction due to the consumption of foods containing tyramine (the cheese effect) is minimized. Unlike other monamine oxidase drugs, such as Parnate, L-deprenyl does not cause skin irritation when used in this way.|
|Inventor(s):||Buyske; Donald A. (Morris Plains, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Apr 18, 1989|
|Claims:||1. A method of treating depression in a human patient which comprises maintaining in contact with the skin of said patient a quantity of L-deprenyl or a salt thereof in a form permitting migration of said L-deprenyl or salt thereof through the skin of said patient into the bloodstream of the patient to a sufficient extent to produce a therapeutically effective amount of L-deprenyl within the blood supply to the brain of said patient without causing skin irritation to the patient or inducing a cheese effect in the patient. |
2. The method defined in claim 1 wherein said L-deprenyl or salt thereof is mixed with an excipient before being applied to the skin of said patient.
3. The method defined in claim 2 wherein said excipient causes the L-deprenyl content of the mixture to migrate into the bloodstream of the patient at a controlled rate, whereby at least said therapeutically effective amount of L-deprenyl is maintained in the blood supply to the brain of said patient continuously throughout a time interval.
4. The method defined in claim 3 wherein said mixture containing L-deprenyl is contained within a patch structure for convenient affixation to a part of the body of said patient in such a manner as to maintain contact between the skin of said patient and said mixture containing L-deprenyl during said time interval.
5. The method defined in claim4 wherein said time interval is at least one day.
6. A method, according to claim 5, wherein said controlled rate is between 5 and 50 mg of L-deprenyl per day.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.