|Title:|| 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-halovinyl)cyclopropane carboxlic acid ester pesticides|
|Abstract:||New insecticides are of formula: ##STR1## wherein R.sup.1 represents hydrogen or a methyl group; R.sup.2 represents hydrogen or a halogeno or lower alkyl group; R.sup.3 represents hydrogen or a halogeno or carbo(lower alkoxy) group which contains at least 2 carbon atoms in the lower alkoxy residue when R.sup.2 represents methyl; with the proviso that (a) R.sup.2 and R.sup.3 each represent hydrogen only when R.sup.1 represents methyl, (b) when R.sup.1 and R.sup.3 each represent hydrogen and R.sup.2 represents alkyl, that alkyl group contains at least 2 carbon atoms and (c) when R.sup.3 represents halogeno, R.sup.2 represents hydrogen or halogeno; and R represents a group which forms insecticidal esters with chrysanthemic acid e.g. 5-benzyl-3-furylmethyl, 3-phenoxybenzyl, .alpha.-cyano-3-phenoxybenzyl. The esters are prepared by forming the ester linkage conventionally or by a Wittig reaction using a 3-formyl- or 3-acetyl-2,2-dimethyl cyclopropane carboxylic acid esterified with the desired residue or by an alkyl group which is subsequently converted to the desired residue.|
|Inventor(s):|| Elliott; Michael (Hertfordshire, GB2), Janes; Norman F. (Bedfordshire, GB2), Pulman; David A. (Hertfordshire, GB2) |
|Assignee:|| National Research Development Corporation (London, GB2) |
|Filing Date:||May 22, 1984|
|Claims:||1. A compound of the general formula II: ##STR18## wherein: R.sup.1 represents hydrogen; |
R.sup.2 represents halogeno;
R.sup.3 represents hydrogen;
R represents a group of formula: ##STR19## wherein: Z represents CH.sub.2 ;
Y represents an aryl group which is unsubstituted or substituted in the ring by at least one lower alkyl group;
R.sup.7 and R.sup.8 each represent hydrogen or a lower alkyl group;
D represents H or CN;
Z.sup.3 represents 0, CH.sub.2 or CO;
Z.sup.1 and Z.sup.2 independently represent chlorine or a methyl group;
n=0, 1 or 2.
2. A compound according to claim 1 wherein R represents:
(a) a 3-furylmethyl group of formula III wherein R.sup.7 and R.sup.8 each represent hydrogen or a methyl group, and Y represents a phenyl group which is unsubstituted or substituted in the ring by a methyl group;
(b) a substituted benzyl group of formula IV where Z.sup.1 and Z.sup.2 each represent hydrogen and Z.sup.3 represents 0 or CH.sub.2.
3. A compound according to claim 1 wherein the hydrogen atoms at C.sub.1 and C.sub.3 on the cyclopropane ring are substantially completely in the trans configuration or in the cis configuration.
4. An optically active compound according to claim 3 in the form of a (1R)cis isomer or a (1R)trans isomer.
5. A compound according to claim 1 in the form of a (1RS)-cis trans isomer mixture.
6. A compound according to claim 1 wherein the R.sup.2 halogen is chlorine or bromine.
7. A compound according to claim 1 wherein R is 5-benzyl-3-furylmethyl or 3-phenoxy-benzyl.
8. A compound according to claim 1 which is the 5-benzyl-3-furylmethyl ester of 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-chloro-vinyl)cyclopropane carboxylic acid.
9. A pesticidal composition comprising a pesticidally effective amount of a compound according to claim 1 together with a diluent or carrier.
10. A composition according to claim 9 including a pyrethrin synergist.
11. A composition according to claim 9 including natural pyrethrin or a component thereof or another synthetic pyrethroid.
12. A method of pest control which comprises applying to a pest or an environment susceptible to pest attack a pesticidally effective amount of a compound according to claim 1.