|Title:||Human pancreatic GRF|
|Abstract:||Human pancreatic GRF has been synthesized. The invention provides synthetic peptides which are extremely potent in stimulating the release of pituitary GH in mammals and which have the formula: H-Tyr-Ala-Asp-Ala-Ile-Phe-Thr-Asn-Ser-Tyr-Arg-Lys-Val-Leu-R.sub.15 -Gln-Leu-Ser-Ala-Arg-Lys-Leu-Leu-Gln-Asp-Ile-Met-Ser-Arg-Gln-Gln-Gly-Glu-S er-Asn-Gln-Glu-Arg-Gly-R.sub.40 -R.sub.41 -R.sub.42 -Y wherein R.sub.15 is Gly or D-Ala, R.sub.40 is Ala or des-R.sub.40, R.sub.41 is Phe or des-R.sub.41, R.sub.42 is des-R.sub.42 or 1 to 8 different amino acid residues selected from the group consisting of Gln, Gly, Ile, Leu, Lys, Pro, Thr and Val, and Y signifies the carboxyl moiety of the amino acid residue at the C-terminal and is the radical -COOR.sub.1,-CR.sub.1 O,-CONHNHR.sub.1,-CON(R.sub.1)(R.sub.2) or -CH.sub.2 OR.sub.1, with R.sub.1 and R.sub.2 being lower alkyl or hydrogen. These peptides or biologically active fragments thereof, or analogs thereof having well-known substitutions and/or additions, as well as nontoxic salts of any of the foregoing, may be administered therapeutically to animals, including humans, and may be used diagnostically.|
|Inventor(s):||Rivier; Jean E. F. (La Jolla, CA), Spiess; Joachim (Encinitas, CA), Vale, Jr.; Wylie W. (La Jolla, CA)|
|Assignee:||The Salk Institute For Biological Studies (San Diego, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 04, 1982|
|Claims:||1. A synthetic peptide having the formula: H-Tyr-Ala-Asp-Ala-Ile-Phe-Thr-Asn-Ser-Tyr-Arg-Lys-Val-Leu-D-Ala-Gln-Leu-Se r-Ala-Arg-Lys-Leu-Leu-Gln-Asp-Ile-Met-Ser-Arg-Gln-Gln-Gly-Glu-Ser-Asn-Gln-G lu-Arg-Gly-R.sub.40 -Y wherein R.sub.40 is Ala or des-R.sub.40, and Y signifies the carboxyl moiety of the amino acid residue at the C-terminal and is the radical --COOH or --CONH.sub.2, or a fragment thereof extending from the N-terminus to a residue in position 28 through 39 which is biologically active to effect the release of GH from the pituitary, or a nontoxic salt thereof. |
2. A synthetic peptide having the formula of claim 1 wherein Y is CONH.sub.2.
3. A synthetic peptide having the formula of claim 1 wherein Y is COOH.
4. A synthetic peptide having the formula of claim 2 wherein R.sub.40 is des-R.sub.40.
5. A synthetic peptide having the formula of claim 2 wherein R.sub.40 is Ala.
6. A pharmaceutical composition for stimulating the release of GH in an animal comprising an amount of the peptide of claim 1 or a nontoxic salt thereof effective to stimulate the release of GH from the pituitary, and a pharmaceutically acceptable liquid or solid carrier therefor.
7. A method of stimulating the release of growth hormone in an animal, which comprises administering to said animal an effective amount of a pharmaceutical composition as defined in claim 6.
8. A method in accordance with claim 7 wherein said administering is carried out either intravenously, subcutaneously, intramuscularly or intranasally.
9. A method of stimulating the release of GH in a mammal by administering an effective amount of a compound as defined in claim 2.
10. A method for accelerating the growth of nonhuman animals comprising administering an effective amount of a synthetic peptide defined by the formula: H-Tyr-Ala-Asp-Ala-Ile-Phe-Thr-Asn-Ser-Tyr-Arg-Lys-Val-Leu-D-Ala-Gln-Glu-Se r-Ala-Arg-Lys-Leu-Leu-Gln-Asp-Ile-Met-Ser-Arg-R.sub.30 -R.sub.31 -R.sub.32 -NH.sub.2 wherein R.sub.30 is Gln or des-R.sub.30, R.sub.31 is Gln or des-R.sub.31, R.sub.32 is Gly or des-R.sub.32, or a nontoxic salt thereof.
11. A method in accordance with claim 10 wherein R.sub.28 is Ser and R.sub.29 is Arg.
12. A method in accordance with claim 11 wherein R.sub.30 is des-R.sub.30, R.sub.31 is des-R.sub.31 and R.sub.32 is des-R.sub.32.
13. A method in accordance with claim 11 wherein R.sub.30 is Gln, R.sub.31 is Gln and R.sub.32 is Gly.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.