|Title:|| Apparatus for the coating of workpieces by flame spraying|
|Abstract:||A spray apparatus for applying metallic or non-metallic coatings onto workpieces by thermal deposition includes a spray gun for discharging a spray mixture which spray gun is mounted on a riser surrounding the discharge opening of the spray gun and supporting the spray gun at a given distance from the workpiece. The riser is adjustable in length so that the spray gun is supported at a variable distance from the workpiece, and further has a gas admission nozzle mounted thereon for admitting gas under pressure to the interior of said riser. At its remote end adjacent the workpiece, the riser has release passages permitting escape of the gas admitted under pressure to the riser and preventing infiltration of the surrounding fluid.|
|Inventor(s):|| Szelagowski; Peter (Elmshorn, DE), Motzkau; Siegfried (Geesthacht, DE) |
|Assignee:|| Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe G.m.b.H. (Karlsruhe, DE) |
|Filing Date:||Apr 09, 1984|
|Claims:||1. An apparatus for underwater flame spraying of coatings onto the surface of a workpiece, said apparatus comprising a flame spray gun for the thermal deposition of the coatings, said spray gun having at least one burner jet discharge opening at its front end for discharging a combustible gas and spray mixture and an ignition device associated therewith for igniting the gas mixture discharged therefrom so as to generate a flame, a riser mounted on the front end of said spray gun, said riser surrounding said discharge opening and having a variable length so as to extend from said spray gun to an adjustable extent, said riser further having a release passage at its end remote from the spray gun with which it is adapted to be disposed adjacent said workpiece for the release of gases and vapors from the interior of said riser, and a gas admission nozzle mounted on said riser for admitting gas under pressure to the interior to said riser for the displacement of water therefrom and for drying the surface to be coated in cooperation with the heat generated by the flame of said burner jet. |
2. An apparatus according to claim 1, wherein said spray gun has several gas and spray mixture discharge jets which are disposed in such a manner as to provide a predetermined spray pattern from said spray jets on the surface of said workpiece.
3. An apparatus according to claim 1, wherein means are provided for changing the length of said riser.
4. An apparatus according to claim 1, wherein said riser is cup shaped such that it is wider at its open end remote from said spray gun and spacer rollers are arranged at the open end of said riser around the circumference thereof.
5. An apparatus according to claim 1, wherein discharge slots are formed in said riser at said release opening.
6. An apparatus according to claim 5, wherein a flexible seal sleeve extends around said riser at the open end thereof.
7. An apparatus according to claim 5, wherein a bristle ring is provided at the open end of said riser.
8. An apparatus according to claim 5, wherein said spacer rollers are so arranged that a circumferential gap remains between the open end of said riser and said workpiece when disposed on said workpiece.
9. An apparatus according to claim 1, wherein said gas admission nozzle extends radially with respect to the axis of said riser.
10. An apparatus according to claim 1, wherein said gas admission nozzle extends at an angle to the axis of said riser.
11. An apparatus according to claim 1, wherein said riser has a plurality of gas admission nozzles mounted thereon so as to be spaced about the circumference thereof.
12. An apparatus according to claim 3, wherein said riser has spacer rings so associated therewith that they are removable for a reduction of its length and insertable for an increase in its length.