Generated: May 25, 2017
|Title:||Potato snack and preparation thereof|
|Abstract:||A process for the preparation of a novel potato snack product comprising mixing together a starch containing component, an active yeast, preferably baker's yeast, water and a sugar fermentable by the said yeast to form a dough mass, optionally dividing the dough into pieces, fermenting the dough mass or pieces for a period of time and temperature sufficient to form a light structure and frying in hot edible oil or fat or baking at ordinary oven temperatures the fermented dough or pieces to obtain a potato snack and the novel potato snacks formed thereby as well as a premix for said potato products.|
|Inventor(s):||Greup; Dirk H. (Voorburg, NL), Brouwer; Willem (Rijswijk, NL)|
|Assignee:||Gist-Brocades N.V. (Delft, NL)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 10, 1978|
|Claims:||1. A process for the preparation of crispy snacks of light structure without an oily taste comprising mixing a composition consisting essentially of starch containing component selected from the group consisting of potato flour and potato starch, corn, buckwheat, tapioca, rice flour and soya meals and mixtures thereof, 5 to 20% by weight of an active yeast based on the starch containing component, water and 0.5 to 5% by weight of sugar fermentable by yeast based on the starch containing component and/or 20 to 100 ppm of an enzyme capable of forming such a sugar to form a dough mass, fermenting the dough mass for a period of time and temperature sufficient to form a light structure and frying the fermented dough to obtain a crispy snack of light structure. |
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the starch containing component is dried potato flour and potato starch.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein the dried potato flour and potato starch are used in a ratio of about 20 to about 80% of dried potato flour, and about 80 to about 20% of potato starch, the said parts being by weight.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the active yeast is present in an amount of about 5 to about 20% by weight based on the amount of starch-containing components in the mix.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the sugar is sucrose or glucose.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the amount of sugar used is about 1 to about 4% by weight based on the starch content of the mix.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the starch-containing component is replaced by a proteinaceous material up to about 45% by weight of the starch-containing component.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein the proteinaceous material is a vegetable proteinaceous material selected from the group consisting of gluten, soya protein isolate, soya protein isolate sodium salt and hydrolyzed proteins.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein instead of, the incorporation of sugar with the starch-containing component and active yeast there is used an enzyme capable of acting on the starch-containing component to form therefrom a sufficient amount of a sugar from the starch components fermentable by the active yeast.
10. The method of claim 9 wherein an amount of about 20 to about 100 ppm of amylase, based on the content of starch component, is used.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein taste improving agents are used.
12. The method of claim 1 wherein before fermenting the dough, it is divided up into pieces.
13. The method of claim 12 wherein the dough is flattened to a sheet 0.5 to 2 mm thick and the desired shapes of the pieces are produced from the sheet.
14. The method of claim 1 wherein the pieces of dough are fermented at increased temperatures from about 20.degree. to about 40.degree. C., for a period of about 5 to about 45 minutes.
15. The method of claim 14 wherein the pieces of dough are fermented at 25.degree. to 35.degree. C. for 30 to 40 minutes.
16. Snacks prepared by the method of claim 1.
17. Snacks prepared by the method of claim 1 wherein the fat content is below about 25% by weight.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.