Generated: April 25, 2017
|Abstract:||Compounds useful as cardiotonic agents are 1-R-3-Q-5-PY-2(1H)-pyridinones (I) where R is hydrogen, lower-alkyl or lower-hydroxyalkyl, Q is amino (preferred), lower-alkylamino, di-(lower-alkyl)amino or NHAc, Ac is lower-alkanoyl or lower-carbalkoxy, and PY is 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl or 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl having one or two lower-alkyl substituents. The corresponding compounds where Q is nitro, carbamyl, cyano, halo or hydrogen are useful as intermediates and those where Q is hydrogen or cyano also are useful as cardiotonic agents. Said compounds are prepared: by reacting .alpha.-PY-.beta.-(R.sub.1 R.sub.2 N)acrolein (II) with malonamide to produce 1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-PY-nicotinamide (Ia) and reacting Ia with a reagent capable of converting carbamyl to amino to produce 3-amino-5-PY-2(1H)-pyridinone (Ib); by reacting II or .alpha.-PY-malonaldehye (II') with .alpha.-cyanoacetamide to produce 1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-PY-nicotinonitrile (III) and partially hydrolyzing III to produce Ia; and, by heating 1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-PY-nicotininc acid (IV) with a mixture of concentrated sulfuric acid and concentrated nitric acid to produce 3-nitro-5-PY-2(1H)-pyridinone (Ic) and then either reducing Ic to produce Ib or first reacting Ic with an alkylating agent to produce 1-R'-3-nitro-5-PY-2(1H)-pyridinone (Id) and reducing Ic to produce 1-R'-3-amino-5-PY-2(1H)-pyridinone (Ib) where R' is lower-alkyl or lower-hydroxyalkyl. Other derivatives of I where Q is amino are shown.|
|Inventor(s):||Lesher; George Y. (Schodack, NY), Opalka, Jr.; Chester J. (Schodack, NY)|
|Assignee:||Sterling Drug Inc. (New York, NY)|
|Filing Date:||Aug 28, 1978|
|Claims:||1. Di-(lower-alkyl) N-(1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-PY-3-pyridinyl)aminomethylenemalonate where PY is 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl or 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl having one or two lower-alkyl substituents, or pharmaceutically-acceptable acid-addition salt thereof. |
2. Dietnhyl N-[1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-(4-pyridinyl)-3-pyridinyl]aminomethylenemalonate according to claim 1 where PY is 4-pyridinyl and lower-alkyl is ethyl.
3. A cardiotonic composition for increasing cardiac contractility, said composition comprising a pharmaceutically-acceptable inert carrier and, as the active component thereof, an effective amount of a cardiotonic di-(lower-alkyl) N-[1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-PY-3-pyridinyl]aminomethylenemalonate, where PY is 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl or 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl having one or two lower-alkyl substituents, or pharmaceutically-acceptable acid-addition salt thereof.
4. A composition according to claim 3 where the active component is diethyl N-[1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-(4-pyridinyl)-3-pyridinyl]aminomethylenemalonate.
5. The method for increasing cardiotonic contractility in a patient requiring such treatment which comprises administering orally or parenterally in a solid or liquid dosage form to such patient an effective amount of a cardiotonic di-(lower-alkyl) N-[1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-PY-3-pyridinyl]aminomethylenemalonate, where PY is 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl or 4- or 3- or 2-pyridinyl, or pharmaceutically-acceptable acid-addition salt thereof.
6. The method according to claim 5 where the cardiotonic active compound is diethyl N-[1,2-dihydro-2-oxo-5-(4-pyridinyl)-3-pyridinyl]aminomethylenemalonate.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.