|Title:||Process for the manufacture of 1-hydroxy-2-pyridones|
|Abstract:||New 1-hydroxy-2-pyridones of the general formula ##SPC1## In which R.sub.1 is alkyl of 1 to 17 carbon atoms, cycloalkyl of 5 to 8 carbon atoms, cyclohexylalkyl or phenalkyl both having 1 to 3 carbon atoms in the alkylene chain or .alpha.-furyl, all of which may be substituted by halogen, and R.sub.2 to R.sub.4 are hydrogen or lower alkyl, or two adjacent substituents together form a trimethylene or tetramethylene chain, and in which R.sub.1 to R.sub.4 together contain at least 2 carbon atoms, are prepared by contacting unsaturated .delta.-keto esters or mixtures thereof with hydroxylamine and subjecting the products to cyclization.|
|Inventor(s):||Lohaus; Gerhard (Kelkheim, Taunus, DT), Dittmar; Walter (Hofheim, Taunus, DT)|
|Assignee:||Hoechst Aktiengesellschaft (Frankfurt am Main, DT)|
|Filing Date:||Aug 30, 1974|
|Claims:||1. The method of making a 1-hydroxy-2-pyridone of the formula ##SPC4## |
wherein R.sub.1 is alkyl having 1 to 17 carbon atoms, cycloalkyl having 5 to 8 carbon atoms, .alpha.-furyl, or cyclohexylalkyl or phenylalkyl each having 1 to 3 carbon atoms in the alkyl portion thereof, all of which may be substituted by halogen; R.sub.2 to R.sub.4 are hydrogen or lower alkyl, or two adjacent substituents taken together form a trimethylene or tetramethylene chain; and R.sub.1 to R.sub.4 all together contain at least two carbon atoms, which method comprises reacting, at a temperature from 0.degree.to 150.degree.C., at least one unsaturated .delta.-keto ester of the formula ##EQU3## or defined ##EQU4## wherein R.sub.1 to R.sub.4 are as earlier defined and R.sub.5 is lower alkyl, with hydroxylamine or an acid addition salt thereof.
2. The method as in claim 1 wherein the reaction occurs in the additional presence of an acid.
3. The method as in claim 2 wherein said acid is a mineral acid.
4. The method as in claim 2 wherein said acid is a lower fatty acid.
5. The method as in claim 1 wherein said reaction occurs in the additional presence of a buffer initially establishing a pH of about 5 to 8.
6. The method as in claim 5 wherein, after the establishment of a pH of about 3 to 4 in the reaction mixture by the production of acid during the formation of an intermediate oxime ester product, said oxime ester intermediate is subsequently cyclized by reducing pH to a value below about 3 to 4.
7. The method as in claim 5 wherein, after the establishment of a pH of about 3 to 4 in the reaction mixture by the production of acid during the formation of an intermediate oxime ester product, said oxime ester intermediate is subsequently cyclized by increasing pH to a value above about 9.5 to 10.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.