DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Drug delivery device|
|Abstract:||A drug delivery device for administering a drug at a controlled rate for a prolonged period of time to produce a local or systemic physiological or pharmacological effect is comprised of a wall surrounding a reservoir containing a drug. The reservoir is formed of a drug carrier permeable to the passage of the drug and in which the drug has limited solubility. The wall is formed in at least a part of a drug release rate controlling material also permeable to the passage of the drug, but the rate of passage of the drug through the wall is lower than the rate passage of the drug through the drug carrier so that drug release by the wall is the drug release rate controlling step for releasing drug from the drug delivery device.|
|Inventor(s):||Zaffaroni; Alejandro (Atherton, CA)|
|Assignee:||Alza Corporation (Palo Alto, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 06, 1975|
|Claims:||1. A method of interfering with the reproductive process of a female mammal comprising continuously administering a contraceptive agent within the uterine cavity of said female over a prolonged period of time by: |
A. inserting into the uterine cavity an intrauterine device comprising:
a. a reservoir comprising an agent in a liquid carrier material permeable to the passage of the agent, said agent comprising a dissolved portion and an undissolved portion that serves to replace said dissolved portion, the reservoir being confined within;
b. an enveloping shaped membrane comprised of a biologically acceptable material insoluble in mammalian body fluid, capable of keeping its integrity during said prolonged period and formed at least in part of a material permeable by diffusion to passage of said agent at a rate which is lower than the rate of permeability of said agent through said carrier;
B. releasing said agent from said reservoir into the uterine cavity at a controlled, continuous, contraceptively effective rate by diffusional passage through said shaped membrane; and;
C. continuously replacing the dissolved agent released from the reservoir by continuously dissolving said undissolved agent in the carrier material.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the rate of release of said dissolved agent through said membrane is less than the rate of clearance of released agent from the external surface of the device.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein said agent is a progestational or estrogenic agent.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein said membrane is comprised of ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein said controlled and continuous rate is substantially independent of time.
6. The method of claim 4 wherein said prolonged period of time is one to three years and the agent is progesterone present in an amount sufficient to provide a dosage regimen for an adult female at a release rate of from 10 to 200 .mu.g per day during said prolonged period of time.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the undissolved agent is present in an amount sufficient to maintain the dissolved agent in an amount substantially equal to the amount of dissolved agent originally present in the carrier material over said prolonged period and said continuous replacement maintains the amount of dissolved agent at said originally present amount over said prolonged period.